001. ━ when barry met kendall

season one // episode one[ when barry met kendall ]

[ when barry met kendall ]

𝐊𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐂𝐎𝐎𝐊𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐋𝐊𝐄𝐃 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐄 Central City Police Department with a tray of coffee in one hand and her phone in the other. Her bag was slung over her left shoulder and she greeted the security guard with a friendly smile once she had stepped off the elevator before making her way to her desk.

"Morning, Joe," she said, setting down a cup of coffee on the desk in front of the older detective and he smiled gratefully at her. She sat down at her desk which was directly adjacent to his and logged onto her computer. "Hey, is there any news on how your foster son is doing?"

Joe West shook his head, taking the warm beverage in his hand. "Still the same," he replied with a sigh. "It's been almost nine months... How much longer can he stay like that?"

Kendall shrugged. "Science and medicine have always been my cousin's specialty, not mine," she said and he chuckled. "So, I don't think I can give you any helpful answers." Out of the corner of her eye, she saw the elevator doors open and her eyes widened, recognizing the man stepping off from one of the photographs on Joe's desk. "Um..."

Joe furrowed his brows and followed her gaze. "Oh, my God..."

She smiled to herself as he stood up. "Well..." She leaned back in her chair. "I guess that just answered your question," she quipped, moving to pull a folder out of the filing cabinet.

"Oh, you scared the hell out of us, kid," Joe said as soon as he was within reach of him and hugged him tightly.

"Yeah, that was quite the nap you took there, baby face, and you still look twelve," one of the officers said in passing and Kendall laughed at the nickname.

Joe looked over him. "You look okay," he remarked. "Are you really?"

"Yeah."

Joe nodded and turned back to his desk. "Oh, Barry, this is Kendall Cooke, my new partner," he said and the young detective smiled at him. "You haven't met her yet. You've been asleep."

"It's nice to finally meet you," Kendall told him, playing with the pen in her hand. "I've heard a lot of good things about you from both Joe and Iris." She smiled softly at the man beside Joe. "Did my cousin take good care of you?"

"Your... Your cousin?" he asked in confusion.

"Caitlin," she replied. "Snow. She works at Star Labs. I think she was the one who was keeping your family updated about your progress."

"Oh, yeah," Barry said with a nod. "Great care."

"Good."

"Detective West, Detective Cooke." Kendall and Joe both looked over at the officer. "We've got a 5.15 in progress at Gold City Bank—two dead. The storm's really picking up on the south side. I'd grab your rain gear."