Chapter 9 - Rise of the Dragonborn Emperor

DAENERYS STOOD BY HER HUSBAND AS TALION TOOK A KNEE; HIS HEAD LOW. The former queen of Westeros had feared this day – knowing the danger her only son faced. It wasn't the threat of assassins or an enemy, but that of power. The temptations that power brought especially a kingship had corrupted even the most noble hearted. It had infected her; slowly over time poisoning Daenerys and culminated in the burning of Kings Landing with dragon fire killing thousands. She became the thing she feared most – her father. Daenerys had become the Mad Queen and it led to her nearly dying. Now her son was becoming the Dragonborn Emperor, king of Westeros and Emperor of the Empire. Yet even with all of her doubts and concerns, Daenerys could not help but feel a sense of pride at her son taking the throne. Talion was strong-willed and like his father a Dragonborn. He had no desire for dominance or lust for power. Her son only wanted to protect the weak like the Dovahkiin. She had heard of his one-man crusade against Mordor and Nilfgaard. It pained her that he had walked such a dark road. But it was Loreth's love that brought him out of the darkness and back into the light. Daenerys had heard of the Lay of Luthien and how she had cured Beren's melancholy. Loreth did not know it, but Daenerys was eternally grateful that the princess of Gondor loved her son. And Loreth's eyes rarely ever stopped looking at Talion. Elves give their love only once and Loreth had given hers to Talion.

Once news spread to the other provinces of the Empire that descendants of Uriel Septim were alive, the common people rejoiced. Hammerfell immediately applied for readmission into the Empire. However, when it was learned that it was the Dragonborn and his children who were the heirs, some of the nobility in Cyrodiil whispered that it was an attempt to seize power – a coup because there was not a soul in Tamriel who had the power to openly oppose the Dovahkiin. Nobody wanted to challenge a demigod who had overthrown the World-Eater. Daenerys knew from experience that dissention bred disloyalty and that could lead to civil war. And with the threat posed by Celebrimbor, Talion could not afford any kind of internal conflict. She was relieved that her former homeland of Westeros rallied to her son. It was shouted in the streets that once more the Targaryen flag would fly from the ramparts of the Red Palace. At least her son would not have a rival for that throne.

The former queen looked at those attending her Talion's coronation: Dragonborn, her stepdaughter Brianna, Queen Elisif and the other Jarls of Skyrim, Sansa, Tyrion, Jon Snow, Loreth, Maius, Eldarion, Geralt, Cirilla, Yennefer, Triss, dozens of Blades and several high-ranking families of Westeros. Representatives of the other provinces of the Empire were in attendance although Daenerys could tell some were not thrilled that their son was becoming Emperor. Outside the walls of the Blue Palace, hundreds of Targaryen supporters waited anxiously for their new king. A few veterans of Daenerys's campaign to retake the Iron Throne unfurled the Targaryen flag and held it high; the ancient dragon banner fluttering in the wind proudly. The old veterans' armor and swords were polished, the metal glistening in the afternoon sun. Daenerys raised her hand and silenced the conversations in the palace. Dread and trepidation crept into Daenerys's heart knowing her son faced an uncertain future. As she held up her hand to silence the conversations in the room, Daenerys hoped her words would ease the concerns of the undecided nobles and aristocracy. Outwardly she projected confidence, but inwardly the former queen was full of doubt.

"For centuries it was believed that the Septim bloodline was broken – that the last of that line died when Martin Septim nobly sacrificed himself to save our world from the tyranny of Mehrunes Dagon" Daenerys opened reminding those in the palace of their history. "Many of you just received the news that the Septim line in fact survived" she added looking at her husband much to the delight of those in attendance.

Cheers and shouts of 'Dragonborn' and 'Dovahkiin' erupted and Daenerys raised her hand to silence the crowd.

"It probably seems strange to many of you that the Dragonborn would wed someone of foreign birth and have a child with her. Some of you may think this all part of a grand design to gain power. I can assure you that this is not the case. My days of throne seeking are long over. My loyalty is to the Empire. I may have been born in Westeros, but my fealty is to Skyrim and the Empire" Daenerys continued her statement bringing thunderous applause. She looked to the Dragonborn and nodded her head, her husband's cue to begin.