Chapter 16 - The Sorceress of the Northern Kingdoms

"Yennefer stop" TRISS PLEADED WITH HER OLD FRIEND. "If you go to Cintra only certain death awaits you. Celebrimbor has the new ring. You may be the most powerful mage of the Northern Kingdoms, but even you are no match for a Noldorin Elf Lord! You must think of Cirilla! How will she react when she learns her mother was killed?"

"I do not intend to challenge the Bright Lord Triss. I go to Cintra to stop the fighting. I believe Celebrimbor can be reasoned with. The fighting must end! Too many have died and now my daughter's life is in danger! The real enemy is Mordor and its puppet Nilfgaard. This war must end and Celebrimbor must be made to see it."

"You read Lord Cahir's message 'Cintra is surrounded by more than fifty thousand Thalmor Elves bolstered by Francesca's forces.' Do not delude yourself into believing that the Justiciars will permit you to simply walk up to Celebrimbor. They will kill you on sight" Triss argued trying to sway Yennefer from danger.

A few hours prior, a carrier pigeon arrived at Kaer Morhen asking that all surviving Witchers ride for Cintra and join the battle. Yennefer and Triss were asked to go as well. Cahir explained in his message that the White Flame had ordered all of Nilfgaard to march on the Bright Lord's Thalmor Army, but both Triss and Yennefer knew that Nilfgaardian troops were match for professional Elven soldiers – many of which were veterans of the Great War in Tamriel. When the Thalmor destroyed the only remaining fighting force in the Northern Kingdoms, Yennefer knew it was only a matter of time before legions of Orcs from Mordor landed on their shores; killing or enslaving the populace. Duny was a fool to think he could actually be an equal to Morgoth and Sauron. From reports of Nilfgaard's scouts, the defenders defeated the first assault, but Celebrimbor still had thousands more in reserve. And Cahir stated Cintra only fielded ten thousand and many of that number was wounded. Yennefer put on a coat of mail and strapped on a sword and began stowing away potions in her satchel. She looked at Triss; her face was one of worry and her eyes full of fear.

"Triss, I have to try. You and I both know that when Celebrimbor destroys the only remaining standing army in the Northern Kingdoms Mordor will attack. Morgoth and Sauron will send their Orcs and Haradrim and Easterling confederates to our shores. The Northern Kingdoms does not have the strength nor resolve to fight both a fallen Valar and Maiar. If I can even get Celebrimbor to listen to my pleas, perhaps he will cease his assault on Cintra and focus on the real enemy."

"Yennefer you're talking about the Elf who tried to kill the Dragonborn's wife and in the same day murdered Arya Stark" Triss cried taking the satchel out of her friend's hand. "The Bright Lord will not listen to you. Madness has consumed him. He is blinded by his desire for vengeance. I am begging you do not go!"

Taking the satchel back Yennefer embraced Triss and kissed her on the forehead. "You have been a good friend to Cirilla, Geralt and I. You have been here when we needed you and it is a debt we cannot repay. If I should fall, look after my daughter and ensure that she reclaims her throne and is kept safe."

Triss sighed and walked over to the table and slipped on a coat of mail herself. She then picked up a sword and axe and attached them to her belt. Yennefer immediately began to protest, but Triss cut her off.

"If you go to Cintra, then I will follow. Ciri and her allies will need all the magical help they can get. Besides, I'm certain that Master Brianna and the Dragonborn will welcome our help."

Opening a portal to Cintra, Yennefer could see the shelled-out ruins of the residential district. The blood was still not dry on the cobbled street and ran in small streams. The two could smell the smoke from the fires and could hear the frightened cries of the people. The scene brought memories of Sodden to Yennefer and the number who died at her hands. She could still hear the screams of those she burned to death and the smell of burnt flesh lingered in her nostrils. Though she did not feel guilt at slaying so many, inwardly she sometimes wished she had joined those who fell. For it was her use of fire magic that led her to betray Geralt. It was her deepest regret and the action that she was most ashamed of. Yennefer knew she would carry the shame of those deeds until her final day.