| 27. 𝑺𝒘𝒂𝒏 𝑳𝒂𝒌𝒆

~ Swan Lake, Tchaikovsky

Chapter 27. Swan Lake

"You're going to end me, aren't you?" Carl's voice dripped with bitterness as a cruel laugh echoed in response.

The man on the other end interrupted, "What were you expecting?"

Carl, undeterred, threatened, "I'll tell everything to her."

"Go ahead, but without my protection, Liam will be the first to claim your life," the man pondered, his tone dark. "Stone desires you alive for answers, ensuring you beg for death. Liam, on the other hand, wants to subject you to torture. As for me, I'll offer you a swift end. The choice is yours. Choose wisely, and the clock is ticking."

The call ended.

----

"Where are you taking me?" Selena questioned as she settled into the car.

"A place," Rafael replied.

"A place has a name," a slight frown creasing her forehead.

"Then, to a named place."

She rolled her eyes. "Well, aren't you a real wordsmith?"

"I try my best to be mysterious," Rafael smirked.

"Ah, mystery, the oldest trick in the book," she retorted, crossing her arms. "Are you sure you're not taking me to a dark alley to make me disappear mysteriously?"

"Rose of mine, if I were to make anything disappear, it would be everything around us, leaving only you and me, no distractions, just us. That's the disappearing act I have in mind."

Selena dismissed his words with a scoff, a subtle blush gracing her face as she glanced out of the window.

"You've certainly orchestrated quite the entourage," she remarked as she observed the four subtly trailing cars, with two positioned in front.

Rafael explained, "They're here to ensure your safety." His words, meant to reassure, instead stirred irritation in Selena.

"Safety?" she retorted, her tone taking a sharp edge. "I'm more than capable of looking after myself."

"Your strength is undeniable, Rose," he began, choosing his words with a deliberate softness.

"I've witnessed the fire in your eyes, the determination in your actions. But protection goes beyond mere physical prowess. It's about ensuring that the people we care about get shielded from external threats and the burdens that life may throw at them."

Selena's gaze shifted from the passing scenery to Rafael, a flicker of curiosity mingling with the irritation in her eyes. He continued, "You are more than capable, and that's precisely why your safety is important. We all carry our vulnerabilities, our battles. I intend to stand by your side, not as a declaration of weakness, but for the significance you hold in my life."

Rafael's words hung in the air.

You are going to break Rafael. Don't utter these words when you know this will end with heartbreak. You are smart enough to understand all I am doing is using you. She looked away from him.

The city lights blurred past the car windows, and Selena's gaze remained fixed on the outside world.

Rafael's protectiveness, though genuine, clashed with her fiercely independent nature. She understood the dangers, yet the idea of being shielded irked her.

"I appreciate the concern, Rafael," she finally spoke, her tone measured. "But I've navigated this world on my own for a long time. I don't need an entourage."