Chapter 9: Confession

"Okay... Takagi."

Nishikata's last words repeated over and over in Takagi's mind. He had just managed to drop her honorific, which was huge for her normally squirmish, self-conscious crush.

As they sat on the log-bench by the waterfall, feet away from the lake shore and even closer to each other, her thoughts were racing. Nishikata had been acting even more thoughtful, charming, and cute than usual on their hiking outing, and that was dangerous. He didn't see her the same way, so she could only barely hold back a reaction.

She snuck a glance at him and found him glancing back at her, and her heart throbbed. They had already eaten and were now just sitting together, completely alone, completely silent. What was he thinking? What were they doing? Should she suggest they go walk around a bit instead, or bring up a new conversation topic? Or maybe a challenge?

But wasn't this situation... more than friendly?

Takagi knew she was falling for it but was losing motivation. Nishikata was too much; this is why she avoided extended time with him. But here he was, sending all kinds of signals that she could barely resist! Takagi didn't dare look at him, afraid that she might do something she might regret otherwise.

As the two halves of her brain warred with one another, friendly reality against romantic fantasy, she noticed him scoot towards her. A minute later, he did it again, making her heart beat faster and faster in anticipation. Takagi had to grip the cold, weathered edges of the log seat to keep her composure.

I can't fall for it, it's all in my head like it's always been. This is a trap, resist! He doesn't like me. He doesn't like me. He doesn-

Nishikata's hand slowly drifted down onto the soft log seat, a few long inches from hers. Takagi's willpower drifted away with it. Her fingers began to tremble, and she couldn't tear her gaze away from his hand, staring out of the corner of her eyes.

A few seconds later, his hand moved an inch closer. Then again. And then again.

They hadn't talked in at least five minutes.

Then finally, the boy took a deep breath. and scooted towards her one last time closing the gap between them completely. Not only was the edge of Takagi's pinky bordering his—their entire arms were now touching.

And Nishikata had done it.

Takagi's heart was going a million miles a minute as she stared into the intense void of white in the waterfall, hyper-concentrated on the pressure of Nishikata's shoulder, arm, and palm against hers. She could hardly believe what Nishikata was doing. Had she actually been wrong this whole time, maybe she somehow didn't notice Nishikata's sudden interest in her? She hadn't done any of this, yet here they were, zero centimeters apart. Was he really about to hold her hand, was this actually a romantic date?!

"Takagi, I," Nishikata spoke, his face entirely hidden but his red ears giving him away, "I- uh,"

"Yes?" Takagi asked, finally turning back to look at him again and noticing how close their faces were. That flame inside her had grown and grown, totally overpowering any other reason. She could practically feel his heartbeat matching hers. She yearned for this.

He turned back to her, taking her in, and his blush deepened. "I, um, I.. I....

He's nervous, why is he so nervous?!

"I like-"

Did he just say 'like'?!!

"I, uhh..." He trailed off, mouth half open.