Part 1

Jenna's POV:

This was starting to get ridiculous.

Vista Island was basically a ghost town until the summer, when we became the retreat for those living on the mainland who wanted to get away from it all. There were always plenty of jobs for the summer. After sending applications everywhere & hearing everybody talk about plans for the summer, I realized that time was ticking for me to secure a job.

After walking around town, it seemed like every store & restaurant had ether hired all the help they needed, or that I just wasn't qualified for the job.

How was I supposed to get job experience if job experience was a requirement for every job?

As I was walking down the small boardwalk, I noticed something strange. I had lived on Vista Island all my life, & I knew this boardwalk like the back of my hand...but there, between the Boardwalk Bar n Grill & the Tara's Taffy, was a store I had never seen before. The name was written on the window, Second Chances.

I walked over. If they just opened, maybe they were hiring!

It was dim inside the shop, even though it had a big window in the front. As I looked around, it seemed like it was a thrift store.

"Can I help you?" a voice asked. A woman was standing behind the register.

"Yes." I said. "I was just wondering if you were hiring for the summer?"

"Not at this time." she said. "Is there something else that you're seeking?"

"No, just a job."

"Really? Nothing else is calling to you? Most of my customers seem to be looking for something, even if they don't realize it."

"No, I'm just looking for a job." I said. "I just thought I'd ask, since it's a new store."

"I've been on Vista Island for a number of years."

"Oh." I said, mentally kicking myself. "I guess I'll just be going then. Thanks for your time."

"Wait." she said as I turned to go. "I don't usually hire any help, but we can talk some more if you'd like."

"That would be great!" I said. She led me to a back room behind the counter. We each took a seat at the table. A sandy colored cat was lying on it. He mewed a greeting, & I let him sniff my hand.

"My name is Faye." said the woman. "I run the shop. What did you say your name was?"

"It's Jenna." I said, pulling out a copy of my résumé. "I'm finishing up my junior year at Vista Island High." I decided to address the elephant in the room. "I don't have any job experience, but I do well in school. I can give you contact information for some of my teachers as a reference."

"May I see your hand?" Faye asked. I did so, & she turned my right hand palm up.

"Let's see...You are in good health. You're very idealistic. Hmm..."

"What?" I asked.

"You have a very strong moral compass."

"Well...that's not a bad thing, right?" I asked.

"No. In fact...it might be very interesting..." Faye said. She let go of my hand & sat quietly, thinking.

"I'll make you a deal." Faye said at last. "If you can find my shop again after school tomorrow, you can start work tomorrow afternoon."

"I will definitely be here!" I said, excited. "Thank you so much!"

I had finally gotten a job for the summer!

But it was not going to be an ordinary job in an ordinary store...