Part 4

Gabby's POV:

"I can't believe you thought this was a good idea." I told Mark. "I think there are mostly upperclassmen here." We were walking up the drive to a party that was being thrown by somebody Mark knew from the school's baseball team.

"It's going to be ok." Mark said. "I mean, he wouldn't have announced it to the whole locker room if everybody wasn't invited."

The door was slightly propped open, so we let ourselves inside. Music was pumping, & people were just everywhere...

It's not like I had never been to a party before. It's just that those parties were smaller, quieter, & much more focused on intellectual conversation.

Somebody called Mark's name, & he started walking towards them.

"No, Mark, don't leave me standing here!" I said.

"You'll be fine." he said. "Mingle. I just need to talk to this guy real quick. He's the team captain." Despite my protests, Mark left me standing by the door way. I stood there for a minute or two before realizing that, eventually, more people would be coming through the door. I headed to the kitchen to get a drink.

"Did you really have to bring that with you?" I overheard a guy ask as I poured myself a soda. "Nobody brings homework to a party."

"They do when they want to pass English." a girl said. She was holding a copy of Shakespeare's Much Ado about Nothing. "I just don't get this. First they're arguing, then they keep talking about taming wild animals. I thought this took place in an Italian town?"

"It's symbolism." I said. The guy & girl just looked at me. "When they talk about taming wild animals, they're really talking about marriage." I realized how awkward of a position I had put myself in. "Sorry, I had just happened to overhear you..."

"No, it's ok!" the girl said. "That actually made a lot of sense."

"I love Shakespeare." I confessed.

"Then you might just be my life saver." she said. "Yo, Ron! We've got a Shakespeare expert over here!"

"Really? Can they explain Much Ado about Nothing to me?"

"Sure. Which part is giving you trouble?" I asked.

"All of it."

"Well, it all starts as Leonato welcomes some friends home from battle..." I said. More people seemed to filter into the kitchen, to listen to me talk & ask me questions. Eventually, we all moved back into the living room, with at least half of the party guests around me.

That's when Selena came over.

"Gabby!" she said when she saw me. "I finished selling my case this morning! How's yours doing?"

"I finished mine too." I said. "I guess we'll have to see the results on Monday."

"Do you really think you'll catch me after just one week?" Selena asked. "Let's not forget that I have a VERY big lead...& I still have some tricks up my sleeve."

"You're a sophomore?" the girl next to me asked.

"Yeah." I said hesitantly.

"So you're selling the candy bars, right?"

I nodded.

"Awesome! If you can get a new case before home room, come find me in the cafeteria. I will totally buy from you!" Many of the others agreed.

"That would be awesome!" I said. "Thank you!"

"Of course! I mean, you ARE the most popular girl in school!"

Her comment threw me for a second. Since when was I the most popular girl in school?

Then I remembered the candle...& my wish.

Did the candle actually make my wish come true?