Part 10

Jenna's POV:

"I see that your friend is out there, selling candy." Faye said. We were adding new merchandise to the window display. "She's got two boxes now."

"She's selling candy for Selena while she's in the hospital." I said. "She had some severe burns from the bonfire, but the doctors say she's on her way to making a full recovery."

"That's good." Faye said, simply.

"Did Gabby pass your test?" I asked. That question had been on my mind ever since the bonfire last night. "Did she earn her second chance?"

"Yes." Faye said. "A second chance at a friendship once forgotten. Perhaps she's also learned to keep her competitive side under control, as well." Finished with the display, Faye took the empty box into the back. I gave Gabby a thumbs up through the window, to let her know that she had passed the test.

She didn't give any indication that she saw me.

I tried waving to get her attention. Still nothing.

I knocked lightly on the window. Gabby still didn't react to it at all...which reminded me of the other question that I had for Faye.

"Do you mind watching the shop for a bit?" Faye asked. "I have a few small errands to run, but I shouldn't be gone long. Teddy will be here if you need anything." Her cat picked up his head at the mention of his name. When he realized he wasn't being fed, he continued his nap.

"Sure." I said. "I just wanted to ask you something. When Gabby first approached me, she mentioned that she had trouble finding the shop again, after she had bought the candle. She told me it was like the building wasn't even here anymore, & your business isn't listed on the boardwalk's directory..."

Faye smiled as she turned back to me before leaving. "I think you'll come to find this isn't an ordinary shop."

I wasn't really sure what she meant by that...but as I looked around the shop, I started to wonder.

If a simple candle can grant wishes, with horrible consequences...

What if the rest of this stuff wasn't as harmless as it appeared?