Midnights

The day after I arrived here, I had started to take the Royalty classes.

They told me it was an important part of becoming an Empress to take them.

They were classes on management skills, interpersonal skills, leadership skills, organisational skills, cultural awareness, proficiency in foreign languages, business communication skills, commercial awareness, fighting skills and problem solving skills.

The whole week I had been busy with them. And in my spare time I'd go to Deme's room to have a "heart to heart" conversation as she called it.

I think we had gotten closer than before.

And even though Prince Cassian's room was just opposite to mine, I hadn't seen him the whole week.

"Come to think of it, high highness, the Prince hadn't been around much lately." I almost sound concern when I say that to Dementia.

We were in her room, having tea.

"Oh did he not tell you?" she took a bite of the cookie. "He had been busy dealing with the people who were against you being the Empress. They are such fools to go against the decision of the Crown Prince!"

"Does he not sleep in his room though?"

"Oh he does, but at midnight."

Hmm, how strange. I thought he was a good- for- nothing kind of Prince. But he does work hard.

-

It was midnight. Before I knew, I found myself waiting for the sound of his room opening.

I didn't know why.

It was past midnight, no sound whatsoever.

A few more hours went by.

At this point I was angry on myself for waiting for him. He wasn't coming.

I closed my eyes laying on the bed.

Just for a few minutes, I'd told myself.

-

I woke up to the sun's bright light falling right on my face.

My head hurt.

"My Lady you're awak-" Layla gasped.

She came closer as she took a closer look at my face.

"My lady did you not sleep well last night?"

Oh about that, I didn't sleep at all.

"Do you know where the Prince would be Layla?"

"Uh...I don't know, maybe in his office?"

"I would like to see him, please tell Sir Aether that." she nodded.

Just where would he have been the whole night?

My classes began right after breakfast. But because of my lack of sleep I couldn't focus on them at all. And I blamed the Prince for that.

What must have been so important that he skipped sleep...or, maybe he slept with some lover he found? If so it wasn't my concern.

I got back into my senses when the pen in my hand snapped and broke.

"La-Lady Rosemarie, if you're not feeling it today you should take a rest...haha..." the teacher said nervously.

"I can take a break?" I asked.

"Of course, My lady."

-

It was heavenly to get a break.

I'm sure the Prince got my message by now so why wasn't I being called yet.

I walked to his highness, the Prince's office and pushed the door open without hesitation.

"Prince Cassian, I have something to-" before I could complete my sentence I witnessed something I maybe shouldn't have.

Sir Aether and the Prince were extremely close.

Sir Aether was bending down, his face close to the sitting Prince as they both stared at each other.

When they saw me, Aether stood straight no change if expression meanwhile the Prince looked flushed as he looked between me and Aether.

"I'm sorry for interrupting, I'll come back la-"

"IT'S NOT WHAT YOU THINK!" The Prince cried. "It's not what you think so don't go."

"Okay. I came here to discuss something." I say trying to sound uninterested in what they were doing.

"Yes, what is it?"

I looked over at Aether. He had a straight face.

"Aether please leave us alone." Prince Cassian requested.

As soon as Aether excused himself I made myself relax a bit before asking him questions.

"Did you not sleep last night?" my first question.

"Hmm? I did."

Wha- did I miss him last night?

"But you weren't back in your room till late."

"Oh I slept here, in the office, since I'd been so busy lately I had been sleeping here the past two days." he said and a sudden smile came over his face. "Were you waiting for me m'lady?"

"Yes I was." I couldn't believe I spent all the night waiting for him.

We stared at each other. Guess I left him speechless.

"So what was it you wanted to discuss with me? Or was it just an excuse to see me." he laughed.

I'd have agreed but then it would lead to misunderstandings and his ego to raise.

"No, I came to discuss the wedding, you never told me about when it'll be held."

He was half surprised and half assumed as he gave an evil smirk.
He got up from his chair and walked towards me.

Bending his head lower to be face to face me he said, "If you want me that bad, we can start by getting engaged first, Rosemarie."

He eyes were dead serious.

"No...I meant..." I couldn't think clearly as I took a step back.

"Don't worry, there is no pressure of getting married right now. Besides I still have to take care of some stuff before taking over the empire. So? What date should we arrange the engagement?"

"How about the 13th?" I said avoiding eye contact.

He went to his desk and checked something before replying again, "Yes that looks perfect."

"O-okay."

There was an awkward silence between us.

"I'll take my leave then." I broke the silence.

"Yes, and you don't have to tell Aether if you want to see me, Rosemarie. You can come here anytime you like."

"I'll...keep that in mind."