𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐀𝐊𝐄𝐒

liliana 'lily' alarie

extract from the journals of one Richard Papen

❝The day I first met Liliana Alarie was the day I believed gods could perhaps walk on earth. She had lived a full life already by the time I came across her, her father an eccentric oil tycoon with a love for the classics and a love for travel as well. He sent his daughter to the best boardings schools in Virginia, where she became the third to the twins' two forevermore.

I always was, in some way or another, enamoured by Lily. She possessed the long golden hair that could match ichor in its shade and dreamy emerald green eyes that resembled the same misty energy as that of the oracle of Delphi so long ago. It was in fact, all that was so sacred and ancient in her that made the daughter of the eccentric, oil tycoon all the more undeniably enticing. Something the rest of the Greek class could very obviously agree on.

Particularly, Henry Winter.

If Henry Winter was a broken piece of an old greek tragedy mask, melancholic gazes, and thirst for knowledge that bordered on desperate Lily Alarie was the golden trinkets which adorned ancient temples, scalded in grandeur and worship since birth, ivy growing within her veins and undeniably holy as well as drenched in sin.

I could not help but watch them silently, their interactions foreign and affections even more so. I had never seen Henry smile until Lily, nor did I see him laugh. I still to this day, have not seen the latter but I remember Lily's description of it, 'quiet and cold, though somehow scalding to hear as though one should of never heard it but be grateful to have as well.'

As foolish as I was and still am, I do hope Henry held some affection for me and the rest of us but I knew the truth. Lily's tendrils of ivy and sacrilege had been the only thing to worm themselves into Henry's heart in a way none of the rest of us would be able to.

They were Hades and Persephone, a match made in the very pits of Tartarus.❞

❞