Chapter 49: No Escape

Screaming. The screams from Mrs. Hollow were the only sound I could zero in on in the grand ballroom. They were so anguished, so heart-tugging, and I was the cause of them. I was the reason she was hovering over her son still choking on the blood protruding from the middle of his throat. His body jerked in spasms while his father was shouting for his son to hold on.

A numb feeling seeped into my fingertips and traveled up throughout my body the moment I saw that shard pierce in Maddox's neck. I—I don't know how to explain it! I honestly don't understand what happened!

One moment, I was hearing him shouting at me, deciding for me that I was going to join the Society. At first, all I felt was confusion... and then I felt so annoyed. But after that distinctive ringing in my ears took over, I couldn't remember what happened next. I didn't see myself doing any of those things leading up to Maddox getting hurt.

That is until Mrs. Hollow screamed and that haze I was in vanished instantly.

My gaze lifted from my trembling hands to the Hollow family. Mrs. Hollow was holding her son's wide eyed, mouth-gaping face, shaking her head for him to not panic. His father was shouting at the rest of the Advanced Hunters, ordering them to radio in immediate help.

Turning away to my aunt and the Weres, my bottom lip and chin quivered. My mind couldn't process what I had just done to Maddox. The guilt was eating away at me as I quickly turned my gaze to the Alpha's son. "Auric..." I whimpered.

Those gray eyes took one look at my panic and flicked his now narrowed gaze at the Ray family. I looked their way, my vision blurring as they stared at me in awe. I could see the increasing interest in their eyes.

"Why—Why'd you do this to me?!" I shouted through a sob, gasping a small breath before glancing through blurry tears at the Hollow family.

When I faced them again, Donovan and Sora looked like proud parents; holding one another close and sticking their chins up. Donovan proudly announced that I was their granddaughter, and that I was no longer going to be looked at as inferior with the Hunter bloodline activated.

Sora hummed behind her lips in thought, pulling from her husband a bit as she stepped forward. "Absolutely remarkable..." she murmured.

Frowning, I shook my head, looking down at my trembling hands then at the glass on the floor. When I looked at Sora, I whispered, "What is...?"

"Why you, Thea Darling. You are what is remarkable. With only half of the Hunter bloodline, it's truly astounding how skillful that throw of yours was. With a piece of glass, too. It certainly works thoroughly with a bit of a temper, I noticed."

Skillful?! Maddox was dying in the middle of their ballroom, and the Rays were complimenting me on my throwing capabilities?! Are they serious right now?!

With her fingers clasped in front of her, Sora smiled. She shook her head, sighing, "Makes me wonder, Donovan—" not taking her eyes off me. "If perhaps our granddaughter is more like Emeel than we predicted. Maybe even more."

Donovan nodded, stepping beside his wife with a proud grin. "We'd have to have the medical team test her out before the initiation."

They were totally having a full-blown conversation with one another like it was a Sunday brunch while the rest of us were freaking out over what I just did! And now they were talking about having a medical team 'test me out'?

I shook my head that there wasn't going to be any testing on me for anything, and that I could only assume their initiation was to become part of the Society, but that was not going to happen either.