Chapter 10-Kasey

I was so goddamn pissed when I left Alex's place. Silver platter? From Preston and Anna? She doesn't know that I had to start where every single person started when I went to work under my father. I earned my position. Vicky was condescending but that was the least of my worries. I was worried about Alexis more.

"You good?" My sister asked from the passenger seat. "Do I look good?" I snapped at her. "Geez sorry for caring." She shifted uncomfortably. "Sorry I'm just pissed." I informed her glancing at her a bit before focusing on the road again. "I feel like I should call Alexis." I told her.

"You should but not now, Kasey. You're already in bad shape. At least wait till you're not driving." She said and I nodded. We drove in silence until I parked right outside my apartment building. We both hopped off, silently heading upstairs. I unlocked my door and we walked in. I kicked my shoes off and reached for my phone in my pocket as I headed to the couch.

Just as I unlocked it, it started vibrating. Alexis was calling me and I was dumbfounded for a second before picking up. "Hey." I said into the phone. "Hi. You good?" She asked and I couldn't help but notice how hoarse and rough her voice sounded, like she had flu or she had just woken up or as if she had been crying.

"Are you? You don't sound okay." I said, immediately sitting up due to my worry for her. "I'm fine." She responded but I had a hard time accepting it. "Alexis." I said, hoping she'd hear how worried I was for her. "I'm not fine. Vicky shouldn't have said those things. She shouldn't have acted the way she did. I hate it. I hate that she behaved that way. I'm so sorry she said those things to you and about you." She said, her voice breaking towards the end.

"It's okay. It really is." I tried to assure her but fuck it, even I wasn't buying my own words. "Kasey. You sound like you're trying to convince yourself more than you're trying to convince me." She said and I sighed. Okay so she caught on. "Maybe you and I need to get to know each other first." I suggested. "Before we include our... families and friends?" I continued more like I was questioning her.

"Okay. That sounds okay. Maybe after our doctor's appointment we could go somewhere?" She said, also sounding like she was questioning me. "I'd like that." I whispered. "Me too." She said. "We can go to the gynecologist that we went to to get the baby made? Maybe they can also answer a few questions from what happened that night." She suggested and I sighed. "That's actually a good idea." I said

"I'll see you?" I said, dreading the fact that the phone call had to come to an end. "Goodbye." She said, hanging up. I slowly pulled the phone from my ear and laid it on my chest. "You guys okay?" Kai asked and I realized that I had actually forgotten that she was around. "We're good." I said, smiling for the first time since I left Alex's apartment.

"Your wife is a hothead." She pointed out. "Don't I know it." I replied, laughing a little. "I thought for a second she would chop Vicky's head off." She said, exaggerating. "Well, you know what they say about short girls." I said, shrugging. "The shorter the girl the bigger the temper." She finished for me. Ain't that the truth.

Kai decided she would stay over that night so she showered and changed into my pajamas and I followed right after. She slept in the guest bedroom as I logged into my laptop to catch up with the day's work. Not much had to be done since I took the online meetings which pretty much meant l covered three quarters of my schedule.

When I grew bored of the screen, I reached for my phone and saw how late it was. Eleven thirty pm. I chanced it and decided to text Alexis. 'Goodnight beautiful.' I typed but was a bit hesitant to press send. When I finally decided to send it i placed my phone down only to have it vibrate so I reached for it again. 'How are you still up?' She replied and I felt all warm and fuzzy inside as I smiled.

'I have a beautiful wife somewhere around the city that I can't stop thinking about.' I typed out, feeling bold and decided to send it before I changed my mind. 'Your wife's a lucky girl.' She sent with a smirk emoji. 'I like to think I'm the lucky one, actually.' I sent back. 'Why are you still up though?' I double texted.

'I was asleep at some point but I woke up super hungry and super thirsty.' She texted back and sent a picture of the leftover lasagna we had and a glass of apple juice. 'Actually, I meant to ask. Did you cook?' I texted back. Lasagna was my favorite and whoever cooked the one I had at Alex's place, before I lost my appetite, gave my soul an orgasm.

'I did actually. There's more leftovers. If you want I can dish it up and bring you some.' She suggested and I smiled. I called her and she picked up on the first ring. "I'd love that actually." I replied to her latest text and she laughed. "Could've typed that out but you know I like that you called. Can never get enough of that British accent." She said.

"I could never get enough of that... American accent?" I said more like a question because I still wasn't clear on that. "Are you trying to ask me something? Like my race perhaps." She suggested, playfully. "I'd really like to know." I replied. "Well my mom is from South Africa but she's mixed. Black and white. My dad is American. Full white. So I'm 75% white and 25% black." She informed.

"That's wow..." I started but trailed off. "I know. Most people don't believe it actually. A brown girl with green eyes." She explain. "You're beautiful." I caught myself saying before I could stop myself. "Thank you. You are beyond beautiful actually." She complemented and I felt my cheeks growing hot. "Thank you." I replied.

"Well I need to eat and sleep. I have work tomorrow plus I have an early morning delivery at your place." She said. I had totally forgotten about the lasagna. "Goodnight, Alexis." I said. "Goodnight, Kasey." She replied hanging up. Wow, that girl was awesome.

_____________

I woke up the next morning to get ready for my workout before work. Got dressed in leggings and a sports bra before waking my sister up. "Get out of my house, you lazy bum." I said as she opened the door after a while of my knocking. "You suck." She informed, groggily. "Thanks. Now leave." I said pointing to the door.

"Ugh. You're the worst." She said, slamming the guest bedroom door in my face, not leaving my house. I decided to leave her there and went to the gym. Wasn't much of an event there, so I did my exercise and jogged back to my apartment. Wasn't far, really.

I got to my apartment, showered, changed into work clothes and sat down for my morning coffee. Until I heard a knock.