Chapter 5: Lack of Luck

"Master, as I have reported, someone... or even a number of people had been able to track down the client's whereabouts although we have blocked both online sources and information network roots." 

"Hmm. That's quite a catch, huh. They were able to pass through to our first stage of defense. Looks like Derek has capable kidnappers, hasn't he?" he responded as I have concluded my report to him. 

I was certain that that cat is a part of a warning. I've been in this line of work for a decade, I know better. That is why I decided to consult Master Phoenix's opinion about it. There are not so many people who can get through to the first stage of our system's defense. Being aware of these two concerns, I could no longer stand by and clean the house as I usually do for the past four months. 

It's a lifesaver that the Phoenix Organization had built a branch here in the Philippines. Aside from the properties I purchased here, this place is a great hiding place if ever there would be more alarming occurrences in the future. Anyway, I haven't seen Mark yet. Is he busy again with new software or something?

I sighed as I wait for him to give his mandate on this case. "On my point of view, Derek's kidnappers are not just capable. There's a reason more than his family's money as to why they keep on doing this. This is not just a mere kidnapping plot, master." I stated as I continue to show him the pieces of evidence that I've got. 

Sa totoo lang, matagal ko na itong napansin. Gayunpaman, kumalap muna ako ng iba't ibang patunay para masuportahan ang hinala ko. Just like everything else, kidnapping also has rules and limitations. Kidnapping is mostly done for a purpose. A purpose to gain something from the one who stole from his or her rightful place. 

But... is money enough to fulfill that purpose? Or they have an even bigger purpose and another goal? If it's money they want, those kidnappers could have shifted to other rich families and well-known personalities. De Guzmans are not the only wealthy people in this country after all. And to think that Derek has been harassed by death threats for almost a year, it seems too off. 

Why would the kidnappers waste their time for one whole year to chase after him? 

There's nothing more I could even think of other than those kidnappers having a bigger motive.

"I understand. I got your point, Rieda. There's probably one good reason why they keep on hunting Derek down. In addition, they could use snipers to shot Mr. De Guzman's head anytime, anywhere, even before you came. However, they didn't use that method but rather wait for a particular timing. With this, the client's case seems to be more intriguing than I thought it would be."

Master Phoenix's right. Mayroong sandamakmak na pagkakataon para mapatay ang nag-iisang tagapagmana ng De Guzman Enterprises. Pero hindi nila ginamit ang mga iyon. Ano ang rason nila kung bakit patuloy nilang binabantaan ang buhay ni Derek? Bakit parang may hinihintay sila na kung ano?