Chapter 2 - Lunch

Your Pov

It's lunchtime. I'm waiting for Tadano and Komi to come over to the spot we agreed on, but they haven't arrived yet.. oh well. I have my earphones in, and I'm listening to 'No' by Meghan Trainor. The urge to sing along feels almost natural, and so I give in to it, and as always, it feels great.

"I think it's so cute, and I think it's so sweet,

How you let your friends encourage you to try and talk to me..

But let me stop you there, oh, before you speak..."

A few people are staring at me, but I'm used to it. If I want to sing, then yes, I will sing. I honestly don't care if my voice is as bad as my sibling says, so I keep singing.

"First you gonna say you ain't runnin' game,

Thinking I'm believing every word..
Call me beautiful, so original
Telling me you're not like other girls,
I was in my zone before you came along,
Now I'm thinking maybe you should go.."

As I'm getting to the chorus, I feel my feet tapping on beat. I'm ignoring the rest of the world, right now it's just me and my singing.

"Blah, blah, blah, I be like nah to the ah to the no, no, no!
All my people, listen up, if that girl ain't giving up,
Lick your lips and swing your hips, guys, all you gotta say is,
My name is no, my sign is no, my number is no,
You need to let it go, you need to let it go, need to let it go,
Nah to the ah to the, no, no, no
My name is no, my sign is no, my number is no!
You need to let it go, you need to let it go, need to let it go!
Nah to the ah to the, no, no, no!"

I enjoy moments like these, where even if people are judging my singing, they don't say anything and I can just vibe for a while. Times like these feel almost.. rare. I'm in the middle of the second chorus when I notice Tadano and Komi standing right in front of me, and I'm jolted out of my trance.

Hitohito Tadano Pov

Me and Komi are heading over to the spot where we usually eat. It's also the place where we told (y/n) to meet us earlier. Komi seems excited to hang out with them, honestly I am too. "Do you think they're nice? I know I do," I say. Komi writes her response, saying that she thought that they were friendly, and that they seem like they'd be a good friends to have. As we walk over, I notice everyone staring at (y/n) again, except this time almost as if they're admiring something. What they're admiring becomes much more apparent as we approach, and it seems that (y/n).. is singing?.. However, they seem oblivious of all the eyes staring at them, simply absorb themself in the music.

"Thank you in advance, I don't wanna dance.

I don't need your hands all over me,
If I want a man, then I'ma get a man!..
But it's never my priority."

Their singing is amazing.. I couldn't sing like that if I wanted to.

"I was in my zone, before you came along,
Don't want you to take this personal..
Blah, blah, blah, I be like, nah to the ah to the, no, no, no!"

Now I know why everyone was staring. Me and Komi walk in front of (y/n), but they still don't seem to notice us standing there.

"All my people, listen up, if that boy ain't giving up,

Lick your lips and swing your hips, guys, all you gotta say is-"

They abruptly stop singing, finally realizing that we're here.

"Oh.. heh. Thought I'd do something 'til you guys came here, rather than just sitting alone.." (y/n) looks almost embarrassed. "Sorry if that was bad, my bro keeps saying that my singing sounds horri-"

"That was amazing." The words fall out of my mouth without me realizing, and before either of us say anything, Komi scribbles down that she agrees, too. Now (y/n) really does seem embarrassed, with their face tinted red. "Th-thanks.. Really, it wasn't that grea-"

"Yes it was!" Najimi interupts our conversation, running toward us at top speed. "At least a thousand people will hear it by tomorrow!" (y/n)'s face turns from embarrassment to confusion, then a look of horror. "Please tell me you didn't-" "Nope! I didn't record it-" (y/n) breathes a sigh of relief. "-everyone else did!" By now, (y/n) looks as if they're going to faint from shock. "Y-you can't be serious..." I shoot Najimi a look, only to be met with a grin back. "Oh, come on! If I had a voice like that, I'd be happy to have my singing posted online!" "Yeah.. but I don't.." (y/n)'s voice is a whisper. Any quieter and we wouldn't be able to hear them. "...Oh, right! I completely forgot to introduce myself!" Najimi's grin stretches more. "I'm Najimi Osana!" "(y/n) (l/n)... you can call me (n/n) though." (y/n)'s previous confidence seems to have disappeared, their expression almost resigned. "I guess there's nothing I can do about my singing being.. recorded.." They seem to shudder at the thought. "Oh well.."

"Cheer up, (n/n)! More people will be able to hear your beautiful singing!.. Am I right, Tadano?" Najimi turns to me to back her up. "Me? I- well, yes, I MEAN NO! I mean.." My face goes red. "Looks like (y/n)'s not the only one flustered," says Najimi with a laugh. Komi looks at Najimi, (y/n), then me. (y/n) checks their watch. "OH SHOOT THERE'S TEN MINUTES-" "Well then what are we waiting for?! Let's eat!!" yells Najimi. We gulp down our food before the bell rings for class again, with two minutes to spare. We head to class and get there right on time (luckily). The bell rings, and class continues.