Chapter 22

"Have you seen the news?"

I looked up from my position on the couch to see Japeth standing in the doorway of Rhian's study, handfuls of papers clenched in his fist.

"Which story are you talking about?" Rhian asked coolly, leaning back in his chair, feet on the desk. "The one where the Snake's body was validated as being buried in Necro Ridge? You're welcome, by the way."

Japeth crossed the room and slammed the papers down on the desk.

"I mean the one about the Snake being alive. Or the one about you conversing with the Mistral Sisters. Or the one about Sophie secretly trading for her friends' release."

"We're taking care of those, Japeth," Rhian said. "Our men are hunting the reporters as we speak—"

"What if people start actually believing this!" Japeth shouted.

"Japeth," I warned. "That's your king you're speaking to."

Japeth laughed. "Oh, that's rich."

I stood and crossed to the desk, gazing down at the reportings. "As of right now, this is seen as nothing but conspiracy by the rest of the kingdom."

"But—"

"The reporters are being hunted, as Rhian said. Besides, we have dozens of other papers printing our story—that the Snake is dead, and the Lion has come to reclaim his throne."

Japeth's jaw tensed.

I sighed. "We mustn't make a big deal of this. If we create a panic, we won't look like very reliable rulers, will we?" I said, raising a brow.

"You already look suspicious to some," Rafal said from the corner. "Why do you think the Courier is after you?"

I ignored him.

Japeth stared at me for a moment, then shook his head like a chastised dog.

"The Courier will be taken care of," Rhian said. "It's only a matter of time."

"But how much time do you have?" Rafal asked.

I shot him a look.

Japeth grumbled and wiped his temple. It was only then I realized he was bleeding.

Everywhere.

Rhian must have realized the same thing. "What happened to you?"

"Protests to support Tedros," he explained. "Put up a fight, those dogs. Could have used a king's help, but you were too busy making deals to let prisoners free." He wiped blood from his lip. "Didn't matter in the end. There was nothing left of 'em."

"Don't ignore me, darling," Rafal said softly. "I'm proud of you for everything. I am. But if you're to retain your power, you must control this Snake." He tossed a glare at Japeth. "He can't hurt the people to the point where they resist more than they already are."

I locked eyes with him.

"Go find Sophie and have her heal you, then," Rhian dismissed. "Can't have my liege all banged up for the Blessing at the Church today, can I?"

Japeth muttered something under his breath before rushing out the door.

"Y/n?"

I jumped. "Hm?"

"I asked when you were going to begin getting ready for the Blessing."

"Oh." I blinked rapidly, trying to think. "Um. . .I'm not sure. Soon, I think."