Chapter 24

"If any of them move, kill them," I ordered the scim on Hort's ear, leaving Hort, Willam, and Bogden trapped in the carriage with it. The second the door closed, I could see the scim start slashing at the boys for sport and Hort fending it off with kicks and punches as the driver moved the carriage down the road and out of sight.

Rhian and I walked towards the church, my hand resting in the crook of his elbow. I schooled my face into an expression of lovestruck joy.

When in public, Rhian was the stronger of the two of us. I was his queen, not the other way around. Rhian and I agreed that if the people were to believe in his story, he must seem like the leader out of the two of us.

The people mustn't know the truth.

Sophie trailed behind us obediently, wearing Rhian's mother's dress. What the public didn't know was that there was a scim crawling beneath her dress, threatening to stab through her heart if she didn't obey our every word and act like a good little advisor.

We glided past the pen of royal transports from other kingdoms, including crystal carriages, magic carpets, flying broomsticks, levitating ships, and a giant, slobbery toad. A cool wind blew through the darkening courtyard. I could feel Rhian puff his chest, posturing for the crowd outside, but their attentions suddenly seemed distracted, their eyes fixed overhead.

"What's happening?" Rhian murmured to Beeba, our pirate guard at the door, as we crossed the threshold into the church. Beeba hustled to find out.

Meanwhile, the leaders from other kingdoms rose from the pews as Rhian and I took the time to greet each one.

"You say you've caught Tedros' princess," spoke an imposing black-skinned elf with pointed ears, dressed in a ruby-and-diamond-jeweled tunic. "No truth to the stories of a 'rebel army,' then?"

"The only truth is that Agatha's whimpering in my dungeons as we speak," said Rhian.

"And you still think that she and Tedros were behind the Snake's attacks? That they were funding his thugs?" the elf asked. "It's a bold claim that you made to the Kingdom Council. I can't say that all of us believe it."

"The attacks have ceased, haven't they?" said Rhian briskly. "I'd think Agatha and Tedros being in my prison has something to do with it."

The elf scratched his ear, mulling this over. I noticed a silver ring on his hand, carved with unreadable symbols.

"While we're on the subject of the Kingdom Council," Rhian probed, "have you given any further thought to my fianceé's proposal?"

"No further thought is necessary. Lionsmane may be inspiring the people of the Woods, but the School for Good and Evil is our history," said the elf, his accent firm and crisp. "Dismantle the school and the Storian has no protection. It has no purpose. Its tales of the graduates of the school are the bedrock of the Woods. Its tales teach our world the lessons we need to learn and move our Woods forward, one story at a time. Your pen can't replace that, no matter how much people are taken with your message."

Rhian smiled. "And yet, what if Lionsmane wrote a story in the sky for all to see about the mighty Elf King of Ladelflop and how nobly he rules his people? A people who I hear were quite resentful that you didn't do more to stop the Snake's attacks? Perhaps I'll have your vote then."

The Elf King stared at Rhian. Then he smiled big white teeth and thumped him on the back. "Politics on your Blessing day, eh? Shouldn't you be introducing me to your lovely bride for the second time?"

"I only save her for allies," Rhian teased, pulling me closer to him, and the Elf King laughed. I forced myself to crack a smile as well.

The church was newly painted, its lavish stained glass depicting Rhian's slaying of the Snake with holy reverence. Stone airways painted with gold Lions beveled along the walls, cooling the hot summer drafts. A perilously old chaplain with a red nose and hairy ears waited at the altar, and behind him were two thrones, where Rhian and I would sit while he gave the Blessing. To the left of the altar huddled the church choir in white uniforms and page-boy hats and to the right hung a cage of tweeting doves, which the priest would free into the Woods at ceremony's end.