chapter eight

Brennan's Occupational Therapist was already ten minutes late, and I could tell that he was on edge. And I wasn't going to make things any easier.

"Hey, Bren?"

He glanced up from his phone, the Tik Tok still blasting.

"You mind if Ryan and Blake come over this afternoon?"

His nose wrinkled as he locked his phone screen. "Ryan Miller? From A-Team?"

I nodded. "We're in a Chem lab together."

"Obviously I don't care. But that sucks, you know he hates you right?"

"You're sure you don't care?"

His smile faltered a bit. "Why would I?"

"Not to point out the obvious here, but you haven't left the house since you got home."

"I've had a lot going on."

"I'm not discounting that. Just pointing out that the only person you've interacted with is Jake."

He let out an annoyed huff, rolling his eyes for extra measure. "I don't need any more therapists."

"And yes, I'm very aware that Ryan hates me. He reminds me all the time."

Brennan's smile flickered back on. "Sounds like a fun afternoon."

"Tell me about it." I flopped down next to him on the couch, peering over at his phone. "What are you watching?"

I texted Ryan and Blake in our newly established group chat, letting them know to head over, before Brennan and I took to watching videos on his phone.

A knock on the door interrupted a particularly funny video of a dog riding a skateboard.

"That's probably Justin," Brennan said, locking his phone. "Don't watch me."

"I'm not really interested in watching your OT session, but thanks for the brusque reminder."

He rolled his eyes.

"Twice in a ten-minute span, you're really on it today."

"On what?"

"It."

"You two need to spend some time apart," mom said, practically materializing in the kitchen. "These stupid nitpick fights are grating. Brennan, the door?"

"You still suck at Mario Kart," I muttered, as he went to grab his crutches.

"That's a lie on my name."

Mom pointed to my bedroom door. "Sam, space. I need some space from both of you today."

Picking myself up off the couch, I cast a look over my shoulder as Brennan opened the door to Justin before heading into my room.

It wasn't long before there was another knock on the door, my mom informing me that Ryan and Blake were at the door.

Do they always travel together?

"We're going to be doing homework downstairs," I said to Mom, as I opened the door for the boys.

"I'll bring down some snacks," Mom said, her eyes lighting up. "Maybe a sample board?"

"Yes, Mom. Please spoil us with your charcuterie board expertise." Ushering the boys inside, I led them back down to my room.

"Forgot how epic this room is," Blake said, as he glanced around the basement. "You used to have team building here, right?"

"Seems like I always have some sort of team here."

Ryan let his backpack fall to the floor. "Today it's an AP Chemistry team. Let's get this done so I can be home in time for my ma's lasagna."