The Yellow Streak

Chapter 4: The Yellow Streak

Cold air brushed over his skin and moved strands of hair, they danced loosely, settled on his face, and tickled his nose. A chill rippled through his body and he could feel goosebumps spreading in response to the sensation.

There was warmth to his right, a different kind than the one steaming from the weight on his legs up to his lower torso. He could feel himself breathing, the air passing through his nose into his lungs and back, yet something was bothering him. Like an obstacle blocking the way partially.

He could feel his muscles contracting when he frowned, it felt stiff as though he hadn't used them in days. His limbs felt heavy as though he was wearing a suit made from lead. Even his eyelids.
He struggled to open them. Any command sent to his body was like calling into a void with no one there to receive it.

As time passed sensations were added. From the breeze caressing his skin to something cold touching it. He started to sense the differences in texture between the fabric of his clothes and the sheets, the tubes connected to him as well as the cables and electrodes.

Sound followed touch and soon a regular beeping to his left reached his ears. There was a rustling on the sheets when they were moved, the sound of steps resonating from the ground, and voices.

A sense of Deja Vu filled his mind as he struggled to fight for awareness. Like coming up from underwater the sensations around him slowly became more prominent until suddenly he breached the surface and everything returned to full force.

He blinked rapidly against the bright light of day, it wasn't as painful as expected and he quickly adapted to the sudden change in perception. Things that had formerly been just sound or a faint touch turned into objects and concepts as his brain filled the gaps.

The steady beeping was a monitor to his right, recording and supervising his heartbeat. He lay in a hospital bed, dressed in a hospital gown, and covered by a light blanket fitting for the warm weather.

The window was open filling the room with the fresh breeze caressing his skin and playing with his hair. From outside bright yellow sunlight flooded the room causing a gentle warm sensation to spread.

He looked at it puzzled, still unable to move. Something about the yellow and white struck a memory within him he couldn't quite reach. It was pleasant.

He tried taking in a deep breath and choked. The air was filled with stressed pheromones despite the filters hospitals used to minimize the effects. They clung to the sheets on the right side of his bed, to the skin on his arms. Even the open window barely helped.

Confusion override the calm state of coming to from before. Part of him wonder why he wasn't more... stressed. Panicked even.

His eyes wandered to the translucent liquid dripping into the tube connected to his arm. Perhaps it was...
He faltered. It was as though that train of thought was familiar, as though he'd experienced this before. Yet when he searched his memory he found nothing.

Lost he stared at the wall opposite him, trying to puzzle everything together.
  "Start with the things you know.".

He couldn't connect a face to the memory, the voice but the words were engraved deep enough to resurface through the fog plaguing his mind.
  "If reality gets fuzzy start with the things you know and work towards the things more complicated."

He took a deep breath.
  "My name is Yamaguchi Tadashi. I'm 24 years old. I was adopted by my parents when I was five. I... I'm an Omega... They don't like that I'm an Omega. My best friend is Tsukishima... Kei... My best... My.."
Something sounded off about that.