A Long Way Home

Chapter 5: A long way home

The light was blinding to his eyes, not painful though, as he fought the reflex to blink and still failed. It seemed to be long enough though as the doctor moved the tiny flashlight to his left eye next observing the way his pupils reacted to the light. They seemed pleased with the result and backed away, noting something on his chart.
  "Everything looks good so far, your reactions are within the normal parameters, no signs of shock. Your pupils are dilated slightly, which is most likely a side effect of the medication you are receiving."

He tried listening carefully but his attention was divided by the nervous tapping of Kageyama's fingers against his thigh. He looked at the Beta inspecting him with what could be interpreted as a death glare. At this point, it was almost a threat but Tadashi knew that this was just a result of his concentration and concern as he took in each word with the utmost care not to miss any vital details. He laughed at the imagery nonetheless.

The Alpha's head snapped up and toward him, his eyes softening at the sound and a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips as he looked at him. Tsukishima was there as well, leaving Hinata in the capable hands of his sister, who had brought flowers and a close friend from school to keep him company for a bit. Other than Kageyama the blonde's worried expression didn't make space for joy at the sound. The worried crease between his brows only deepen and the same dull pain Yamaguchi had observed time and time again since he woke up filled his eyes.

  "In conclusion, Yamaguchi-san, your results look good and you will be able to leave the hospital with your mates today. Unless you have any symptoms to report?"

He smiled at them in response and set up further.
  "No, all is fine. I feel no pain or dizziness. I'm not in a state of heightened anxiety and even though I know now what happened to Sho I don't feel like I'm about to faint or drop again."
He got quieter toward the end, the knowledge of his mate hurt causing a sting in his chest. A dull echo of what he ought to feel at the news and from what Tsukishima and Kageyama must feel constantly since the accident. But the medication kept his reaction mellow, it was probably for the better after he overreacted so badly the first time. He chuckled humorously at the thought.

  "What about the memory loss? This isn't normal is it?" Tsukishima hid his hands in the pockets of his hoodie, twisting them with the fabric, to hide the tension filling up his body like static.

  "Normal is a broad range. But yes, it is not a usual response to a drop. However, the brain scans showed nothing unusual or concerning. Along with our psychiatric colleagues, we came to the conclusion that it's most likely a case of dissociative amnesia." They turned toward the Omega again.
  "This type of amnesia can occur after a traumatic event and can be linked to other psychological conditions. As such further treatment when arriving home will consist of regular appointments with a therapist specializing in cases involving early trauma and you'll get benzodiazepines prescribed. Please take the dosage as instructed for the following two weeks, it'll decrease the chance of getting triggered or dropping again while starting the therapy and settling in back at home. If further medication is necessary later we'll change you to a less invasive anti-anxiety medication."

  "Why not already? Or rather why only take this one for two weeks? What are the risks?"
Yamaguchi could sense his distress in his posture, the way his jaw clenched, and the thick veil of better pheromones spreading from the Alpha and settling like a thick blanket above them. He carefully reached out a hand and tugged at his sleeve. When the blonde turned to him he gave him a soft smile and while he seemed to appreciate the gesture and even reciprocated it this time, the same sadness filled his eyes as before and he was quick to look away. One hand found the Omega's nonetheless and he held it tightly.