Besotted

Eda sighed as she turned in the mirror, frowning as the scars and marks that riddled her body moved with her. 

She wasn't exactly ashamed of them, but she wishes her younger self had a little bit more foresight to keep her from getting them in the first place. She could easily pick out the blemishes she might not have if she had just a little more self-preservation in her youth.

She couldn't blame her past self entirely though, she glanced at the indents and slight scars across her chest and shoulders from a stolen bra just a few sizes too small; how was she supposed to know it wasn't supposed to cause a little pain? 

Of course, not all the imperfections on her skin were so domestic, many were carved there by coven scouts and other do-gooders looking to sell her, dead or alive, for a sack of snails. She scoffed at the thought.

Her endeavors were soon interrupted by familiar footsteps outside her door

"Eda?" Raine called, "Are you in there? Can I come in?" They said, tapping their knuckles against the door.

Eda paused for a moment before answering, " Raine hasn't seen me... like this, " she thought. However, she soon dispelled that thought, she'd always known that Raine wouldn't care what she looked like as long as she was happy and comfortable.

"Come on in," She replied, busying her hand with adjusting the polaroids she had around her mirror, smiling at the moments captured in them.
She heard the door click shut and turned to meet Raine's gaze, they were smiling fondly; Eda could've sworn she saw hearts in their eyes. 

"Hey Rainey," she said, reaching to clasp one of their hands in hers, "what brings you up here?" She asked, mostly as a joke, since it was their room as well. 

Raine chuckled lightly, they'd always appreciated her subtle (and not so subtle) sense of humor, "I came up to check on you, Eda," She noticed them glancing at a dark scar on her collar, "You didn't come down for breakfast, are you feeling ok?" Mint eyes focused on her mismatched ones.

Eda's ears drooped slightly as a smile overtook her face, Raine was always so observant and caring, "I'm alright," her grin faltered slightly, "Just been, y'know, reminiscing and stuff." She dropped their hand and reached to the scar on her neck, self-consciousness creeping into her psyche once again.

Raine's gaze softened as they cupped her face, delicately brushing their thumbs over her cheekbones, "If it's any consolation," they started, blushing slightly at their close proximity, "I think you look more gorgeous now than ever before," they reached their hand back to brush through her hair. 

Eda's lips turned up slightly, but her eyes avoided theirs, "Thanks Rainestorm," she brought her left hand up to hold theirs, "that means a lot."

Raine was still concerned, "You know I mean it, right?" Silver and gold eyes finally looked into green, "Your body, however flawed you may see it, is a testament to your amazing life." 

They slowly guided her to sit on the edge of the nest, once again taking her hand in theirs, "You know I've never been the most eloquent, but I love you," they punctuated the statement with a chaste kiss, "and I wouldn't change a thing about you." They moved their hands to rest on her hips, gazing at her face to gauge her reaction.

Eda's face seemed to relax, eyes filled with sincerity, "I love you too," she pulled them in for a much fuller kiss, "So, so much."

Raine gently pulled both of them into the nest, tangling their legs with hers, "How does a mid-morning nap sound, my Calamity?"

Eda laughed, "You don't even have to ask," she tucked her face into their neck, sighing softly, "g'night Raine."

They tenderly pulled her closer to them, "Goodnight Eda, love you."

"Love y' too," they heard her mumble as they closed their eyes. Whatever obligations they might have had that morning could wait; right now, a long nap was in order.

See https://archiveofourown.org/works/45253201 for notes on this story...