Chapter 4: The First Step

I came out from under the speeder and whipped grease off my face.

"There you go Ma'ma!" I smiled at the elderly Toydarian.

"Thank you dear." The elderly Toydarian said.

"No problem! Just pay at the counter and I'll bring your speeder outside." I took my goggles off.

She nodded and went to the front room towards Talia. I had another customer when me and Drake came back from lunch but the elderly Toydarian was nicer then the earlier customer. I went to the front of the speeder and pushed it out the garage and I parked it at the entrance to the shop. Soon she came out and slowly flew over.

"Thank you, that was very kind." She said while getting in the speeder.

"It was my pleasure." I backed away from the speeder and watched her drive off.

I walked back in the shop and saw Talia talking with a male twi'lek.

"You can fix it, right?" The male Twi'lek said worried.

The voice sounded familiar, was he the Twi'lek that I meet when I walked away from the Order? It had to be.

"Yes, it will be fixed in no time." Talia answered the male Twi'lek.

He let out a sigh. "That's good news. Everywhere else I've been couldn't fix it."

That's when Talia noticed me. "Ah, here she is!" Talia smiled.

The Twi'lek turned around. Yup, it was him. I gave a smile hoping to get on the right foot. Sadly, he gave me I glare. I guess bad foot it is. The male Twi'lek turned to Taila again.

"You trust her?!" He said harshly.

What?! I'm innocent! Why does he not trust me? What did I do to him? He should be mad at Barris.

Talia only nodded. "She has proven innocent and she is great with mechanics."

The male Twi'lek gave a sigh and faced me again but his expression didn't change.

"You better not blow up my speeder Girl!" He pointed at me and his voice was harsh.

Why was he like this? "Don't worry, I'm here to only fix it." I said in a nice tone, but with his glare and tone, I was getting mad.

"Good, now my speeder is outside." The male Twi'lek informed.

That really got me. I'm not a slave! Why was he acting like this? He can't tell me what to do, but I had to keep my cool.

"Could you come and show me where it is so I can get the right one?" I said trying to sound nice.

It was hard, but it seemed convincing enough. He reluctantly agreed and showed me where the speeder was and I brought it through the garage and into the work room. I went on my knees and examined the engine.

"Let's see." I said to myself. I carefully examined it but couldn't find anything until a small shine caught my eye.

"How long until it's fixed?" The male Twi'lek asked.

I grabbed a pair of tweezers and pulled the metal out. "Try that." I said to him.

He raised an eyebrow but went to the front and turned it on. Soon the roar of the engine filled the room. The male Twi'lek stood frozen for a minute, but he turned it off and looked at me wide eyed.

"How did you fix it so soon?" He asked with egerness.

I shrugged me shoulders and showed him the metal. "It was making the engine clogged." I answered.

He nodded. "Just pay at the front where Talia is." I said to him.

He got out of his trance and went to the front to pay. At lest he seems to trust me now. Maybe I could start a life here. As a mechanic. I chuckled at the thought. Anakin would love it, and be jealous. He loved working on machines. He made a Podracer when he was nine. If this is how my new life is taking me, then so be it and have the force guide me. Little by little, I'm redeeming myself.