Chapter 4 - Shiver

I walked.

I continued to walk, never minding who or what is in front of me. Every time I bumped into someone, they shout at me like I am a blind person.

As I continued to walk, my entire body suddenly shook, followed with a chilling sense of cold despite it being sunny. It starts off mildly, until my body starts to shiver from the cold.

"What is happening to me...?"

I took deep breaths, and blew some air to my hands to get rid of the cold. It didn't work. I shook my head in disbelief, as my entire being continued to shiver.

Then I recalled. Whenever I hung out with him, whenever he helped me, when he took me out on that date... I felt warm.

And now, the warmth is being siphoned out of my soul, replacing it with spine-chilling coldness.

"Please... It's cold..." I muttered out unconsciously.

My focus then turned towards a claw machine. Inside it is a lone teddy bear that looked awfully familiar to the one...

Flashes begin to fill my vision, causing me to gasp and shake my head again. The bear is still there. Gulping, I walked towards it and inserted a coin before I moved the claw over the bear. I managed to pull it out in one shot. The moment it came out of the prize slot, I grabbed it and sank my face onto it, as I wrap my hands around it.

There is nothing.

No warmth at all. The warmth it emanates after he won it for me doesn't exist.

Upon that realization, I let go of the teddy bear, letting it fall down to the pavement.

I walked home. I called out that I am home, to meet no answers. Makes sense, since Mom is going to work already. A dry chuckle left my lips, as I ascended the stairs and went into my bedroom.

I sat on the end of my bed, looking at what is in front of me. My study desk. What once was a desk filled with books and memorabilia of my moments with him, now a dusty, barren wasteland.

"Can we go out on a date... This weekend?"

"And why is that?"

"I'm lonely, you dummy."

That memory flashed in my thoughts. What I have planned to rid myself of being lonely ends up into this situation, where I find myself in this empty, desolate room which was once filled with a more cheery vibe. Another memory then flashed in my thoughts. That moment when I gave him that pair of cat plushies from Heavenly Host.

"Will you keep a promise? Please, don't ever leave my side."

"I'll keep the promise. Even till the day I die."

In the end, I broke my own promise. I have forsaken him, and he left my side. Or rather, I left him on my own volition and childish rage.

For the rest of the day, I spent my time alone at home until Mom returned from work during the evening. 

"Hey there, Naomi."

"Welcome home, Mom."

"Since you're all lonely-like, I want to give you this."

A meowing voice is heard. I looked at the source of the meowing, to see a brown cat hiding behind her feet. On top of the cat's head is a single strand of fur that made it look like an ahoge, fool's hair.

Another image flashed into my mind upon seeing the cat in the eyes.

"No..."

"Hmm?"

"I'm sorry, Mom. But I don't want a pet."

"I see... But being all alone 24/7 is not good for your mind, Naomi."

"You've said that for the hundredth time already. I told you, I'm fine."

I stormed out, and walked up the stairs before entering my bedroom and locking the door behind me.

I crashed onto bed, wanting to end the day already for it is already as bad as it becomes. Complete darkness enveloped me the moment I closed my eyes and in an instant, I went into a slumber.

Everything is dark. Not a spark of light to be seen, not even a single soul as well.

"I'll keep the promise. Even till the day I die."

His voice! I can hear his voice in the darkness, which then started to repeat until all of a sudden,

"I'll keep--"

The sound fades away, and I find myself forgetting where I have heard that voice before. I shook my head in fear, knowing what will come next.

"Hey, Nao--"

I felt the coldness spiking up, and I begin to shiver heavily.

"Hard to find--"

No, please...

"Not like back--"

STOP IT!

"Please smile."

It was at that moment I woke up. Those words. Those two words. They were the last of what I heard in that strange dream... And...

The first that I have forgotten

The cold becomes even worse. I cannot stop shivering, as I covered myself within the layers of my blanket.

"Please... Someone..."

As if my prayers were answered, I felt something grab ahold of my hand. It was small and fragile, but most importantly... It is warm.

I opened my eyes, to see the cat that Mom brought home. It rests gently next to me, inviting itself for a pat to the head.

"Why did you leave me...?" I said to myself, as I pat the cat's head gently.