149: No Time For Rest

The group at Haven heard from the Beacon group that things were somehow okay even after all that.

Blake and Weiss were in tears of relief over it, while Sun tried to pretend he hadn't been worried about Neptune.

Winter pretended that she'd been confident all along that they were going to succeed, but Weiss saw her lean on a wall and let out a long, tired sigh.

Of course the question was, were they all going to come back to Haven, or should the Haven group go to meet them?

Those had been Shine's initial instructions, but the train fiasco had delayed following them.

Still, Winter said it made more sense to do this. Vale was more central than the other kingdoms, so any move they needed to make next would be easier from there.

But...Shine couldn't portal them all, not with how weak the Maidens had been; it could set them off. So they'd need to fly there themselves.

Or Raven could just take them.

Raven expressed doubt that she'd be able to pull this off.

Since the magic spasm, she'd turned into a bird several times without warning and turned back just as abruptly, so that she had to sit on the floor to avoid falling on things every time.

Winter and Vara were more stable, but at any moment Ozpin having another fit could affect them also.

They decided to sleep on it, since they were exhausted. At least the plague had lifted.

Winter heard Whitley talking to Klein about how this whole mess was going to come back to them, and he wasn't sure how they'd reestablish the SDC if this drama kept using up all their resources.

All Klein could tell him was that he was sure it would all work out eventually.

Considering that Whitley was one of the only people with access to funding, Winter didn't know how long they could keep going without more coming in than had been. But the CCT was up. That was bound to help...

She passed the kitchen on her way up and heard Raven and Qrow talking.

"Despite your Semblance, I'd say you were d--- lucky." Raven was either teasing him or scolding him. It was hard to tell with her. "That could have been a disaster!"

"You don't need to tell me that," Qrow replied. "I don't know how all of us even survived today. The odds were against it."

"Maybe there's something that's stronger than your Semblance, huh?" Raven said.

Sullen silence.

"I was joking." Raven sounded like she was rolling her eyes. "You're so serious about that. My Semblance is completely embarrassing, and you don't see me getting huffy about it."

"Didn't you beat someone up for calling it the 'Family Bonding Semblance', once?" 

"They had that coming..."

Raven then tilted her head. "So you just rushed out there to save her, huh? You're slipping."

"I don't want to talk about this." Qrow looked at her sullenly again.

"Hmph," Raven snorted. "It's Summer all over again."

"Don't say that," Qrow snapped at her.

"I didn't mean the dying part." Raven was the queen of saying the wrong thing to help. "Just...you always stick your neck out, even if it's stupid."

"At least I don't give only one save," Qrow shot back.

"There's a reason I do that," Raven said. "People can't always wait for you to save them. They need to get stronger than that."