5. Being Generous

"My parents... They were killed a year ago and I was kidnapped soon after... Please don't ask me how... I don't want to talk about it"

"It's okay" Mr.Hayes replied.

"I don't know the places I was taken to... It was all so new and everyone spoke in some random language... All I understood was that... I was sold to a couple but then something went wrong and we had to escape... The people who sold me took me back and they left me here... Probably it was because they were waiting for things to cool down as the cops were searching for them..."

"They left you here hoping that no one would find out...?"

"Yes... They thought it would just appear as if I am a normal high school student who got a scholarship... They said that I should stay away from people as much as possible... or else..."

"Or else what?"

"I don't know..." She mumbled.

"It makes sense that they picked a quiet place like Brantown" Mr.Hayes took out his phone, "What are you doing?" She grew alarmed, "Calling the cops. Or even the FBI, this isn't something silly-"

"Please Mr.Hayes... They won't even be able to find my real identity at this point... And if Vernes finds me again... I'll die..." Her eyes welled up. Seeing this, Hayes locked his phone and put it back.

"Mikaela isn't your real identity?"

"I hate that name!" She buried her face in her palms.

All these details were too much even for a grown man like himself and watching the girl break down was painful. He sat her on the couch beside him and gently squeezed her shoulders.

"Ruby... My real name is Ruby..." She mumbled and rubbed her nose.

"That's a lovely name" Hayes whispered, meeting her gaze. They stayed like that for a long time and just as he feared, his masculine instincts were urging him to make a move on the pretty girl next to him.

This was wrong.

This was more wrong than anything in the world.

After all, he was her teacher.

A person meant to help her.

But he couldn't help asking, "So, how old are you exactly?"

"I'll be nineteen this year"

Hayes felt as though a huge weight had been lifted off his chest. If she was a minor, he'd be inviting jail time by keeping her near him. But she wasn't exactly an adult either. Anyway, he was barely 8 years older than her.

He mentally slapped himself for thinking too far.

Hayes got up, "We'll talk in the morning. I'll take you to the guest bedroom, come on" "No... That's fine... I can sleep on the couch..." She replied. He narrowed his eyes on her, "My house, my rules"

Ruby was forced to follow him. Again.

She gasped on seeing the guest bedroom, exactly how rich was this guy?

"Goodnight, Ruby" Mr.Hayes smiled before closing the door for her.

It had been a long time since someone called her name with affection. She wished for this dream to never end.

***

Something licked Ruby's face and she sat up in bed startled to find a huge white dog next to her. The dog was calm and it could barely see due to the tuft of fur over its eyes.

Ruby reached out to pet the dog who showed no resistance, there was a collar around his neck and she read the name as Pearl. The dog wagged its tail harder when Ruby hugged it.