Chapter 5

Thea and Marion made their way down to the Kings private dinning area once they changed out of their travel clothes. For some reason, Marion was nervous. She knew it wasn't because of dining with royalty. Marion had grown up with the royal family of Terrasen and the royal family of Adarlan. She was accustomed to the meetings, parties, and politics that came with being associated with members of the royal family. Maybe because of the new environment or maybe because she didn't want to seem like an outsider. Lately, that is all she had felt like, was an outsider.

Marion glanced over at her friend who chose to wear a dark purple gown and put her hair into a messy knot on the top of her head. Marion had chosen to wear a rose-pink dress with her wavy black hair falling down her back. Her hair had been extra wavy due to her hair being braided on the flight down to Banjali. "M, if you do not want to have dinner with everyone, we can go back to our rooms" Thea said. Marion must have been looking at her friend for too long. Thea looked at Marion to see if she could read anything on her face. "Its fine" Marion said with a close-lipped smile.

Thea and Marion entered the dining room. Marion immediately knew this dining room was a private hall due to the table being situated on a balcony overlooking the ocean. Marion could hear the waves crashing against the shore in the distance. Zipporah was sitting to the right of an older man. Marion assumed the older man at the table was Zipporah's father, Kharis Ytger, King of Eyllwe. As Marion and Thea entered the dining area, Zipporah looked over at them and smiled. "Friends! I am happy that you have decided to join us" Zipporah said, coming over to the two of them and walking them over to their seats at the table. "Father, this is Marion Lochan and Althea Westfall" Zipporah said, introducing the two women to her father.

"Westfall?" the king asked, looking directly at Thea. "Any relation to Chaol Westfall?" Marion glanced at Thea who visibly shrunk where she stood. Everyone knew the history between the former Eyllwe princess, Nehemia and Chaol Westfall. Yes, what Thea's father did was horrible but if the King even tried to blame her friend for the incident, she would fight him herself. She is not responsible for her father's crimes and her friend does not deserve to live with her fathers' mistakes. Chaol Westfall grew to be an honorable man, and he raised three strong, caring, and kind daughters. "Yes, your majesty, he is my father" Thea said, looking straight at the King.

"How ironic your father let his daughter come to Eyllwe on a diplomatic mission when my sister was murdered in his country" Kharis said. Marion studied the King. He did not seem mad or upset by Thea being in his home; he seemed fascinated. "My father has lived with his guilt for his entire life. He has worked very hard as Hand of the King to make Adarlan a good country" Thea said.

"Father, Althea has come to help our healers. She has the gift of healing" Zipporah said reassuringly to her father. Kharis looked from his daughter back to Thea and said, "You are a healer?"

"Yes, a gift passed down from my mother, who studied at the Torre Cesme" Thea said. "However, my priority is to help heal Marion as she studies Wyrdmarks with your scholars and Prince Rhoe as requested by the Queen of Terrasen."

"Very well. I admire how much you defend your father. We appreciate a healer's assistance anytime in Eyllwe" the King said. Marion and Thea sat to the left of Zipporah and while they settled themselves at the table Rhoe and Gavriel strode into the dining area. The two males made their way to the table and bowed as they approach the King. "Thank you for inviting us to dinner this evening, your majesty" Rhoe said smiling and taking his place next to the King and directly across from Marion. Gavriel chose to sit across from Althea.

The servants brought drinks and appetizers for the group when Rhoe and Gavriel took their places at the table. Marion kept glancing towards the prince who would constantly flirt with the female servants and give them charming smiles and compliments. Marion rolled her eyes to herself and continued to sip at her drink. "If you have an issue with my flirting, firefly, I can stop" the prince said, smirking at her.

"No, by all means, please continue to entertain us. I am sure we all want to know who your next conquest is" Marion said, glaring at Rhoe. Rhoe grinned and his eyes sparkled as he looked at Marion. "Oh, I am sure you would be very interested" he said.

"I have no desire to know who warms your bed" Marion said.

"Then why does it bother you?" Rhoe asked teasingly.

"Because I am trying to eat!" Marion said slamming her fork down on the table and glaring at the prince. "And guess what? The world does not revolve around you and not everyone cares about what you do in your free time!" Rhoe glanced down at her hands, which had darkness swirling around her wrists and upper arms. The darkness caressed her arms as if saying I am still here. When she felt Thea place a hand on top of hers and said "M, take a deep breath."

Marion relaxed in her chair and continued to take deep breaths, so her magic was under control again. She did not like showing people she had a magical ability, let alone death magic. "Marion, what kind of magic do you possess?" Zipporah asked.

"I inherited magic from my father. He claims the power is from the God of Death" Marion said quietly, staring at her food. With the mention of the death magic Zipporah and the king look uneasy, but Rhoe said "It's not as scary as it sounds. Lorcan Salvaterre gets his power from the god, but the magic does not automatically bring out death. The magic is guided by the wielder." For the rest of the meal the six of them make small talk but Rhoe and Marion did not look at each other.

As the plates were cleared from the table and the meal finished, the King wished the group good night and headed off to his chambers with the royal guards. Rhoe and Gavriel also declared they were going back to their room. Once the three women were left at the dining table, Zipporah turned to Marion and asked "Did you and Rhoe ever..." Marion's gaze shot to hers and she laughed. Marion did not know why she found the assumption so funny. Maybe it was the fact the princess of Eyllwe actually believed Rhoe could ever be attracted to Marion. Marion will admit she did find the prince attractive when she was a young teenager but once she noticed he had a new love interest almost every week her respect for the male plummeted. "No, Rhoe and I have never been involved with each other. We grew up together, but we were hardly friends" Marion said, containing her laughter.

"It just seems there is history" Zipporah said.

"Rhoe has never been interested in me and he never will" Marion said getting out of her seat. Marion bid goodnight to the princess and walked back to her room with Thea. Thea side glances Marion and she says quietly "Did you notice Rhoe did not leave with any of the females he was flirting with?" Thea was right. He went back to his room alone.

Authors Note: I am sorry this part is so short! But thank you to everyone who has given my story and my writing a chance so far! It means so much to me! I love you all! <3