Chapter 70: You're Serious?

After having to meet with the police several times, I had perfectly memorized my story. I was glad that Ariana and I had come up with the same excuses, but I never really got the chance to share the excitement with her. It would have completely ruined the point, but Trent was always there after my meetings.

   He would listen to me talk about how I thought they bought the story and were just waiting to see if I would slip up. He'd take me out to eat, and he'd insist on paying since I was the one celebrating. I'd leave cash around his car when he wasn't looking though.

It was sad not being able to share this with Ariana. She was all that I really wanted. We knew planning another run-in or meet up was too risky. If anybody was keeping tabs on Trent, or paying close enough attention to Ariana, it would be too suspicious that they kept running into one another. My boyfriend and the woman that's been accused of having some sort of affair with me- not a great combination with eyes prying in.

   Ariana was put on temporary leave. I wasn't allowed to assist her replacement. The extra period left me miserable because I had nothing but time to sit and think.

   By never going around her room, I guess I never got the chance to realize her leave wasn't so temporary until she was just gone. No sub. Her students were switched into different classes, and when I finally gathered the courage to walk by her room, the lights were off with the door locked and nothing inside.

I found myself waiting around, still hoping she'd show up to practice or games- knowing she wasn't allowed. She had told the girls she needed to step down because something very personal in her life had taken place. It was true, I guess, but it didn't take away the hardship that her absence brought.

Mrs Johnson was our new coach. She had no clue what she was doing and was really only there to supervise and travel with us for games. I was used to helping coach the team, but it wasn't the same without Ariana's lead. I barely got a chance to play, and even though we kept winning, it felt like it had nothing to do with me.

   The scouts from the stands kept reaching out, offering me a position on several college teams. I worried the opportunities would pass me up because of my limited play time, but my leadership skills of being our stand in couch seemed to encourage them.

I was thankful, in a way, but it still put a heavy weight on my chest every time I'd have to beat around the bush of why my coach stepped down halfway through the season. "Oh yeah, she's been accused of sleeping with me by our mutual ex slash her co-worker, so she had to quit her job and now I'm coaching." Didn't feel like it would sell how I wanted it to.

Game after game, I'd search for her in the stands only to be met with the waves of everyone trying to persuade me that their college was better. My rare moments on the field became my only escape, and I played hard. I had a lot to forget about once my cleats dug into the turf.

I felt completely overwhelmed. Senior year was supposed to be the best. Easy classes, fun with friends, and just coasting until college. How did mine become such a shit show?

I had to choose where to spend the rest of my life, but I knew I only wanted to be planning everything with Ariana by my side. I didn't care what stupid campus I ended up on, as long as she was there with me.

   As time went on, I found myself giving up on us. She had either been forced to quit or been fired which made it look like the investigation wasn't going so well for us. My check-ins with detective Spade became more regular and diminished what faith I had left. The guilt I felt after having these thoughts was immeasurable. I had to keep fighting for us.