Two

Caja and I spent most of the night figuring out all sorts of ideas on how we could discover the truth of this world.
Though in the middle of our conversation I had a strange feeling, like someone was watching us.

I looked around my room, my somewhat dark blond coloured hair mostly in my face. I noticed something peculiar in the corner of my room, actually... they were in every room. A small device. a camera. We were being watched. We were always being watched.

My face went pale, I glanced nervously to Caja.
"Finlay...?" She looked at me, concern on her face.
I couldn't speak I just motioned my head towards the camera in a way that said 'look here.'

Her eyes widened also.
"Cameras..." she spoke quietly.
"Yeah... cameras..." I repeated.

Both of us then came to the sudden realization that someone—most likely the keepers— saw we had a notebook of information.

"What should we do about it?" She whispered to me.

"We have to find a way to block it without seeming suspicious..." I suggested, I'm not sure how I knew this.

"But how?" She asked, blinking confusedly.

"I'm not sure... or maybe we could find a place that has no cameras?" I said, though as I thought about it, this whole city made of bunkers was most likely under heavily surveillance.

I tried to think, before an idea came to my mind.
"What if... we write in code?"

"Write in code! Good idea- but what if they already know the code...?" Caja wondered out loud.

"Then we just have to make our own." I spoke as I pulled out a random piece of paper from my notebook.

I began to write down all sorts of random dots and lines and squiggles, writing which letter they represented.
"We'll use this.." I looked to Caja who nodded in agreement.

I wrote the code twice on the piece of paper before ripping it in half, a copy for each of us.

"From now on we can't talk out loud about... you know." I whispered.

"Alright, we only write it down." Caja nodded.

I wondered how much the keepers already knew... or maybe they just thought no one would believe me if I told them, I was just some kid after all. What could a kid do?

Caja snuck home late, and the next morning we planned to meet up after our classes (which were basically just teachers shoving a bunch of nonsense information that we would never need into our brains, oh education, what's the point?).

"Amery." The teacher called out my last name as I was about to exit the room.
I froze (now that I was aware that everyone was being watched, I wondered who else could be a spy) glancing over to the teacher.
"Y-yes... sir?" I stammered, though tried to hide my nerves.

He held up a piece of paper, for a moment I thought it was the secret code paper and I almost panicked, but I realized it was just a test paper.
"You should do some more studying, I know you're smarter than this." He stated.

He was right. I was smarter than that, however I could not show just how smart I really was.
The mark is irrelevant but it was a 53 percent, and it was in math, surely not my best.

I then headed to the place Caja and I agreed to meet. We met in the lunch hall's kitchen. This was after lunch of course. We discovered that the pantry had no cameras.

Planning on how to discover the truth of the world in a pantry, what an interesting world I lived in.

While we were scouting the pantry for cameras, I noticed a lose tile on the floor, it was underneath a shelf and has some boxes of potatoes in front of it. The shelf was high enough for us to crawl underneath it. We shoved the potatoes aside and moved the tile slowly and found something very interesting. A room.