015. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐭𝐲𝐱

[ 🏹 ] ✾•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•✾ [ 🏹 ]

fifteen. I was so young when I behaved
twenty-five
Yet now I find I've grown into a tall child . 」

JOEL MILLER'S EYES SNAPPED OPEN TO THE SOUND OF A FEMININE SHRIEK. Instantly, the man sat up, assuming the worst. He silently scolded himself for falling into a peaceful sleep—it was his job to watch over the girls and he had failed.

He turned to Lizzie, watching as she breathed heavily in surprise, her head and shoulders adorned in particles of cold snow. She shivered noticeably, looking up to Ellie with her mouth agape.

Ellie laughed joyfully, amused at the blonde's reaction. She had woken up first, and after standing watch for series of moments, she looked over to Lizzie.

The blonde was curled tightly in a ball, one of her arms resting over Bellamy's sleeping figure. Ellie smirked lightly as she placed down the shotgun, making a large pile of snow. Quietly, she picked it up, hurrying slightly so that none of it would slip from her grasp.

Revenge for blaming the snowball on her the previous day.

Then, with a grin, she dropped the pile of glistening snow over the blonde's head. Lizzie shot up in surprise at the presence of the icy substance—waking Joel up accidentally.

Ellie laughed blissfully, moving away from the blonde as she attempted to kick her in the back of the leg. The brunette simply grinned as she heard the blue-eyed girl curse, wiping away the snow on her shoulders and hair.

Ellie turned at the sound of Joel's annoyed grunting. "Still mumbling in your sleep. I woke up early. You were passed out, so I took second watch." She explained to the man.

Joel gave her an irritated glance, standing up from his spot and watching as Lizzie flipped her hair left and right in an attempt to execute the remaining snow.

"You gotta wake me up if that happens. You can't do things like this." Joel scolded, his tone laced with annoyance, though it seemed he felt more annoyed at himself than to either of the girls.

Ellie gave him a tight-lipped smile. "But I can. . . 'cause I just did."

Lizzie snickered lightly, looking up to the man. "Oh, she's got you there, cowboy."

Joel looked down to her, holding out his hand to help her stand from her sat down position. She took it grateful, letting him pull her up. Beside them, Bellamy howled as he stretched, standing straighter and shaking his fur.

"It's not funny, Bug. I'm responsible for you, okay?" He lectured, giving Ellie a stare of disapproval at her actions.

Lizzie shrugged. "Kind of funny."