Kaveh's brush hovers over the canvas, idly waiting for the artist to resume his work. However, he finds himself lost in thoughts about the night before, and all that has happened so far.

The painting was nearing its finished stage, and realistically, he didn't need Alhaitham to sit patiently in the chair within the garden. Yet by now it's become a ritual for the two and he's come to enjoy the time they spend together in relative silence, where he is allowed to shamelessly observe the Alpha without questions asked.

His mind wanders to his first night at the Lord's mansion, and the reason that convinced him to stay. It was the almost pained look on Alhaitham's face when he shared the fate of his loving grandmother that changed Kaveh's mind.

He would be lying if he were to say that it didn't still bother him, lying to the old woman, but he somewhat understands Alhaitham's position knowing that all he wants is for her to see him happy before she passes, even if that happiness might be no more than a lie.

Kaveh feels an unfamiliar tug in his chest, and he lowers his brush, giving up on the prospect of getting anything done while his mind is full of distractions.

"Alhaitham..." He speaks up hesitantly.

The Alpha looks up from his seat curiously, and wordlessly he gazes towards Kaveh with slight concern on his face at the Omega's tone.

"I... I've been meaning to ask you something." Kaveh continues.

"Yes?" Alhaitham replies candidly. He smiles gently, as if to encourage Kaveh to say whatever is on his mind.

"Your grandmother—"
"No."

Kaveh's question is cut off before he can ask, Alhaitham's kind expression fell to one Kaveh couldn't quite place, but it made him feel like he was no more than a stranger, if not an intruder.

"Either continue your painting, or wrap it up for today without wasting more of my time." Alhaitham's words are harsh, cutting sharply through Kaveh.

Kaveh puts his brush down with a soft clack, letting a soft whine escape as he does so, soft enough for Alhaitham to hopefully not hear.

But he does.

"Wait..." Alhaitham stands up, shaking his head—not at Kaveh, but at himself—and walks towards the Omega who nervously shifts his weight from one foot to the other. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have reacted like that."

"What did you want to ask me about my grandmother?"

Kaveh's mouth hangs agape, surprised at the candid question on the topic that previously had Alhaitham snap so rapidly.

"I—I know it's personal, and probably none of my business, but..." Kaveh hesitates, "what ails her? How long does she have? Is she ok, is she in pain?"

Alhaitham gives a fond smile at the barrage of questions, but Kaveh sees in his eyes the pain of the reality he's facing.

"It's an illness most common in foreign lands far away from here," Alhaitham begins solemnly, "We found out about it a few months ago, and it's been rapidly eating away at her."

"We've seen many doctors, near and far, but they all tell her the same. She will not live past the next year." Alhaitham averts his gaze, favoring the empty sky to Kaveh's eyes filled with pity. "If she is in pain, she won't show it, that's how she is."

A quiet sits between them, and Kaveh gathers that's all Alhaitham will say unless he asks for more. He places a gentle hand on Alhaitham's wrist, to pull back his attention to him.

"She means a lot to you." It is both a statement as well as a question. "Will you tell me about her?"

Alhaitham looks to the tentative hand on his wrist, and with a sigh places his hand over Kaveh's. "After my parents passed, she vowed to protect me and care for me. She raised me, when they no longer could."