✧Chapter 6: The hunting competition

Azura's POV

I walked through the forest holding Neteyam's hand to guide him. Occasionally I would turn my head to look at him. He was amazed by the beauty of nature, his smile lit up his entire face making him look even more handsome than usual. "How long is left to get there?" he suddenly asked, "Not much, why? Is the brave archer tired already?" I asked mockingly as I stopped to face him.

He didn't expect my sudden stop and bumped into me causing the two of us to stumble slightly. His hands quickly reached out to hold my arms to keep me balanced, "Sorry, I didn't mean to..." he nervously started to apologise. Laughing at his nerves I put my hand on his as he continued rumbling his apologies. "Neteyam" I said calmly to catch his attention, yet he didn't stop talking.

Putting both of my hands on his face I fixed my eyes on him."It's okay, we just bumped into each other". Smiling at him I reached for his hand once more, "We can stop if you wish, there's still a lot of time until eclipse" "If it's alright with you, I need the energy to kick your ass at the hunting competition". Laughing even harder I shook my head while biting my lip, "You still believe you will win?"

Neteyam stayed quiet for a while, he slowly got closer to my ear. "I don't believe it, I know it" he whispered, the softness of his voice sending chills all over my body. "Such a confident archer, it will be fun to be the one to demonstrate to you who's the best here" I replied. "Let's see about that" he said as he puffed his chest and flexed his arms's muscles making me laugh.

"Okay, okay enough" I said when I couldn't breathe from laughter, "We should eat something, there must be some Tìhawnuwl near us". We walked a little longer until we found some Tìhawnuwl in front of us, reaching for its fruits I handed one to Neteyam and took one for myself too.

Sitting down while resting our backs on a thick trunk we began to eat in silence, neither of us uttered a word as we devoured the fruit. The forest was calm, the only thing that could be heard was the wind passing through the leaves of the trees producing a harmonious sound that filled our ears.

Once I was finished I looked at Neteyam. His hands were full of fruit juice, he even had some dripping down his mouth. I smiled at his appearance, he was such a messy eater. It wasn't the first time I saw him like this. "Thanks Eywa we are going to a river so you can wash yourself" I told him, "Am I that dirty?" he wonder "Mhmm" I affirmed.

"Come on" I beckon him to start walking again, "Can't we stay for a little longer? It's peaceful in here" he said with his eyes closed and his head resting on the trunk. "I'm starting to think you don't want to compete against me. Have you given up already?" "Of course not, I'm always ready to show you who is in charge here" he answered as he stood up and began to walk. That's the reaction I was looking for, I thought as I walked next to him.

After a long walk, we finally arrived at the river, "So here is where I will beat you with my skills?" Neteyam said with confidence to tease me. "Stop bragging so much and show me how good you claim to be" I replied as I started to prepare my arrows and my bow. "Sure thing, but don't be surprised when I say I told you so after I win" he teased me further looking for a reaction.

Laughing loudly I fixed my eyes on his, I remained in silence as I approached his side at a slow pace. "And what if I win?" I whispered near his face, he visibly gulped at our closeness. "Don't worry lor syulang, that won't happen" "If you are so confident then you won't mind cleaning the pa'lis for a week if you lose. Right?"

He looked like he didn't know what to answer, I'm sure he knew I was going to win. He probably was just saying those things because he liked to tease me. However, he couldn't back down now since it was too late. Maybe there was a chance he would win but I doubt that. "Of course, but what will you give me if I'm the winner?" he asked making me think for a moment before replying, "Then I'll personally inform the hunting party you are the best archer I've ever met"