Volume 5: It is Unending

I groggily work woke up and glanced at my alarm. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, seeing it was only 3 am. I tried to sit up, but I couldn't move. I glanced down to see arms wrapped around my chest. I looked to my left to see Karla cuddled against me and smiling in her sleep. I couldn't help but smile; she looked so peaceful. 

I slowly managed to slide out of Karla's arms without waking her. If anyone here deserved a good night's sleep, it was her. I pulled the blanket back over her and went to the bathroom to splash water on my face to help me wake up. Staring into the mirror, I could hear The Void taunting me. I tried to block him out, but he would only grow louder in response. 

Letting out a sigh, I decide to go for a little flight to try and clear my head. I slowly crept out of my room, careful not to wake Karla. I made sure to close the door softly behind me. I made my way to the flight deck. As I walked down the hallway, I could hear Claire snoring. Grant must have been sleeping well; his heartbeat was notably low. I thought back to Diana's offer about joining the League; I don't think I could bring myself to leave these guys. I was the reason they were here, and the League already have Superman. I would merely be overkill. 

The elevator dinged and opened up to the almost empty deck of the Helicarrier, walking out toward the edge, I saw the beauty of the city skyline at night. I slowly lifted off of the ground before shooting off into the clouds. I flew around aimlessly for what felt like hours but must have been a handful of minutes. Being up so high is such a freeing feeling. It makes all of your worries melt away. 

I hovered above the top of the Empire State Building, "The city is truly stunning at night. Maybe I should bring Karla up here someday." A deep raspy voice called behind me, "Lovely night isn't it." I spun quickly and came face to face with Batman, "Batman? What are you doing here?" 

He stared into my eyes, silent for a second like he was analyzing me. "Research." I raise an eyebrow in confusion, "About what? This is an odd place to see you, all things considered." This couldn't be a coincidence; Batman is easily one of the most intelligent men on the planet. He must have been watching me. 

Batman's eyes bore into mine. His stare was cold like he had no emotions behind them. "You." He presses a few buttons on his forearm and a video of my fight with The Absorbing Man project into space between us. I crossed my arms, "Me? What for? You might not kill criminals, but if Creel had been allowed to live with my power, he could have killed millions, if not billions." 

Batman presses a button, and a video of me in Clark's office plays. "Your unstable, Y/N." I could feel my fists tightening, "How did you get that video?!" I shot down, landing with a loud boom in front of him. "How!?" 

He remained unfazed, "How long until you lose it and an innocent person gets hurt? Did that thought ever cross your mind? You're dangerous." I stepped up to him, "You know nothing about me. You can't even fathom the mental strength I need to exist. I'm more stable than you know."

Batman stares back, "You're a threat to yourself and everyone around you. Threats need to be stopped." I turn around toward the ledge, "Is that a threat, Batman? If you're as smart as they claim, you should know you have nothing that can harm me." I step off the edge hovering in the air, "I don't want to fight you, Batman. You were always my favorite. But if this is how it'll be, you can tell Ms. Prince to keep her offer." 

I float over to him, a foot off the ground, "I will say this, next time you threaten me, I will visit Wayne Manor." He remains unfazed as I fly off back to the Helicarrier. 

---

Batman stood across the table from a green alien who was pouring over the files Batman had sent to him. Batman eagerly awaits a response, "Is any of this familiar to you, J'onn?' J'onn looks up at the main Watchtower computer, "Pull up the video from his interview with Clark; I wish to examine it closer."