26. Misery and Escaping a Volcano (Because They Always Go So Well For Me)

Blood dripped down her father's hand.

Azula looked between Percy and Ozai. She had seen how swift and powerful Percy was before, but it proved to her that he was never really trying when they fought.

The firebender's hand ghosted up to his own shoulder before he purposefully moved it back to his side.

Hide all weakness.

"ATTACK HIM!" He bellowed out to the troops.

The bronze whirlwind spun forward as her father desperately tried to back away. To Azula's eyes, trying to keep up with the waterbender, it was all Ozai could do to avoid the sword that swung perilously above his ducking head. Percy's storm circled the Fire Lord. His gleaming blade sliced and hacked as his opponent spent all his concentration on avoiding the metal that came at his throat. The princess saw Ozai's hair, already slightly dishevelled from whatever had happened underground, fall even further away from his royal pin.

With yet another blast of fire, her father landed right in front of her.

He retreated...?

His clothes stripped to ribbons. The Fire Nation red disguised the blood that flowed freely from every chink in his armour. With every second, more deep red liquid splashed to the ground.

Azula could see past the storm at the war balloons that flanked the retreating invasion force, but occasionally, one would fall from the sky. The aerial warships that had moved into position around the area pushed forward at the lone waterbender. Just one boy in the middle of maelstrom he was in complete control of.

More Fire Nation soldiers surrounded Percy though. They created a cage of firebenders and soldiers, each rank with more than the last. Every bender took up a stance and punched their fists towards him. Azula had no doubt, even with fire being blasted at him from all sides, that he could've easily escaped their cage.

His miniature hurricane exploded into flames.

But it didn't waver.

"You're scared!" His voice yelled from within the firestorm.

Within a few seconds, the fire dissipated to leave just the winds again. Percy was untouched and only looked angrier through the swirling tendrils of air. The creak of the metal above indicated to them all that the ships had moved above him. A near-silent whistle sounded at their newly visible target.

~~~~~

The first deafening explosion sounded from behind them. Hakoda looked over his shoulder right after the Avatar landed with his glider. They were protected from the balloons' bombs by Toph and the other earthbenders, with Aang and Katara helping take some of them down, but none of those could compare with what was happening within the crater of the volcano.

Explosions. Red, loud and large.

Their army had some of the wounded soldiers held between people, with limbs dragging along the ground behind them. The pained groans were almost like white noise while they were being chased back down the mountain path.

No soldier left behind.

Around him stood the rest of the Avatar's group and Bato. They all had turned worriedly towards the noise.

"I've got to go help him." The airbender stated, tapping his staff to the ground to extend its wings.

"Aang." Hakoda started.

"No, it's my responsibility. I need to-"

"Aang." Hakoda interrupted. "You're our only defence from the balloons with Appa. The troops need you."