29. Leaving Things in the Past (Why is Walking Away so Hard?)

"Because you've never done it before." Percy said, carrying Toph into the clearing.

Zuko's head popped up off the ground defensively, before looking at him very worriedly. It seemed the young firebender thought that the demigod would enact some sort of revenge for burning the earthbender.

At Toph's uneasy expression at realising where he'd taken her, he whispered so only she could hear.

"Don't worry. I won't let anything happen to you. Plus, I want you to hear this too."

"What do you want?" The ex-prince asked.

"Just to talk." Percy answered, walking past and sitting at the fire. "And also, to help heal my friend, if you don't mind."

Zuko almost stalked around the fire to stand in front of his tent, still perceptibly watchful of him. The young man obviously remembered what he could do with both water and his sword, but Percy wasn't going to prioritise his feelings of comfort.

"You don't have to talk if you don't want to, but I will be using that." He continued.

Without a word, the demigod lifted the water out of the satchel in Zuko's makeshift tent made from the balloon. He startled as it floated past, watching as it settled on the soles of Toph's feet. The young girl looked at him, with both appreciation and apprehension. A prolonged sigh left her lips as it seemed his healing was having an effect.

After a silence filled with the croaking of some kind of frogs and the crackling of the fire, Percy decided he didn't have the patience to not continue talking.

"I've had talks like this with both your uncle and sister, but I can't say I've had one with you."

It seemed at the mention of his family, Zuko became interested enough to have a seat around the fire.

"You talked with my uncle?" He asked, with hope, before continuing. "You had talks like this with my sister?!"

"Absolutely. Complicated family, I must say."

"You don't even know the half of it." He muttered in reply.

Percy couldn't help but joke.

"Oh, out of everyone, I'm well aware of how complicated some families can get."

He received very inquisitive looks from both his fireside companions, but neither of them pushed for any context. Instead, Zuko brought the conversation back to his earlier remark.

"How did you get to talking to Azula like this?"

"Very easily, actually. She came to me." He shrugged. "She didn't even try to kill me."

Zuko's eyes widened, before Percy realised he wasn't telling the full truth.

"Well, she didn't after the first few times. But that's beside the point."

Toph gave him a little punch on the shoulder and a cheeky smile.

"And Uncle?"

"Oh, he's very wise, that man." Percy replied. "He knows a thing or two about not giving up on family."

Both of them looked to be deep in happy memories of the old man.

"Do you know where he went?" The demigod asked.

"No." Zuko replied, sombrely. "He escaped the Fire Nation prison during the invasion."

The prince and earthbender both looked crestfallen at that information, but Percy knew that wherever he was, he would be doing good for everyone.

"Man, now why did you have to send the assassin?" Percy said. "That was so stupid."

Zuko's head dropped dejectedly.