thirty-seven

today is finneys first baseball game of the season. he's very excited. he woke both gwen and i up by screaming, "BASEBALL GAME! WAKE UP!"

since i knew i couldn't go back to sleep, i got up and got ready for the day. the lead coach of the cheerleading squad told us that we are gonna be cheering at the game.

it's a little odd because you tend to cheer at football games not baseball but whatever. we've been practicing a lot of cheers after school.

i haven't seen the grabber or who i thought was the grabber. maybe vance and bob were right, it was just my imagination.

i hope it was.

the three of us now ride in the car along with dad. we're all quiet as we stare out the window. it's a nice sunny day out, spring not that far away.

i cant wait till summer.

"have a good game fin." dad said as he smiled and drove off. he's changed which is weird. he hasn't hit any of us in three months.

i don't want to jinx it.

"finney!" shouted the boys on his team. they all ran over, smiling and hugging him.

gwen and i joined up with her friends. i sat and waited for the other cheerleaders to arrive. when they arrived, i said bye to gwen and rushed over to them.

"ALLISON!"

"im here," i raised my hand, standing next to donna.

"lovely." sarah rolled her eyes before setting down her clipboard, "now, we're going to have two groups on both sides of the field. allison, since it's your brothers team we're cheering for, you pick what side you want."

"okay."

"everyone else, just go wherever. the fam is about to start, DEPART GO!"

group one stand with me near the dugout. i wanted to be near finney incase he needed me or anything and i was also near gwen.

let the games begin.

————

the was the most boring baseball game i have ever cheered for. no one was into it besides me. sarah was screaming the whole time. i was miserable.

it's a mess.

a break was called so everyone, even the players were allowed to get some food and a drink. finney and gwen ran over to me and i handed each a water and a cookie.

"thanks allie!" finney said while running back to his team.

"yup! im here if you need anything!" i shouted to him and he ignored me.

mean jerk.

"allie, me and susie are going to go for a walk, is that okay?" gwen asked me.

"uh yeah, yeah sure." i wasn't really sure if she should be wandering around by herself even if she's with her friend.

im just scared the grabber or whoever that was is going to get her.

"don't go far gwen!" i yelled and she nodded, "we won't!"

"want me to keep an eye on her?" a voice said from behind me.

i jumped and turned around, "jesus vance, you scared me." i said, shoving him.

he laughed and pulled me into him. i gasped lightly, "you didn't answer my question."

"sure, yeah," i stepped away when eyes were on us, "that would be nice, thanks."

he nodded and walked off.

the game started again and finally, finneys team scored which ended the game because everyone was tired. "GOOOOOOOOOO FINNEY YEAH!" i screamed.

"SHUT UP ALLISON!" sarah yelled at me from across the field.

oh, this bitch.

"allison, don't do anything," finney said, running over to me, "please."

i sighed, "okay."

finney grabbed his baseball bag and the two of us left, going to find gwen. "gwen, suzie, time to go!" i yelled, as the two of us walked over to the playground which was across the street.

but when we go there, they were gone.

i began to worry.

"may-maybe they walked home?" finney suggested, his voice shaking a little.

"VANCE!"

"vance? why would he be here, allison?" finney asked me but i ignored him, "VANCE GWEN!"

suddenly, there was a scream.

finney and i took off running into the direction of the scream and i sighed in relief when i realized it was just vance chasing after my sister and suzie.

"you asshole, i was calling you!" i yelled at him, "we need to go now, gwen."

gwen sighed and grabbed a hold of my hand, "can suzie sleepover?"

"yeah she can."

"yay!" the two girls and finney walked in front of us while vance and i walked side by side, "thanks for um watching her."

"yeah, yeah no problem." he smiled, shoving his hands in his jean pockets, "hey, i have a question." he grabbed my arm which stopped me from walking.

the feeling of his hand on my skin made butterflies appear. oml.

"what's up?" i smiled.

"th-the...um there's a uh dance coming up and i was uh wonder-"

"i'll go to the dance with you."

his face was full of shock, "wha- really?!"

i nodded with a smile, "yeah. wear something nice. bye vance."

i walked away, the smile never leaving my face.

i need to end things with steven at the dance.