Jade Green Beanie

"Shit! Shit! SHIT!" The ruined wall Beth stood next to, seemed to shake as she flung her fist at it with her whole bodyweight. "Why did i leave him there!" Screaming she punched the wall again, this time rubble fell around her and dust was pushed into the air around her choking her.

"No. Beth pull yourself together." She slapped herself in the face so hard, the little girl drinking a hot chocolate on the other side of the road, yelped and spilled the drink everywhere. Beth was about to say sorry but before she knew it, the little girl had run off. It was probably for the best Beth thought to herself.

"Zach said to go to Nate's house. I cant afford just to sit here feeling shit about myself." She shook off all the weight from the past ten minutes of stress, "it's Zach. he can handle himself. Ive just got to trust him."

Beth set off at a run, all the buildings looked so alike that they all just blurred together. Or it could've been the tears that were brimming the edges of Beth's vision. She sniffed. It wasn't a time to cry.

She had no idea how much time had past, until she heard someone shout her name, "BETH! WAIT A SECOND." A skinny red headed girl, wearing a leather waistcoat still bodywarmer, a ripped white t-shirt, with a fishnet underlayer and black ripped jeans waved at her. The only sign this girl knew it was autumn, was the jade green beanie she wore, which came down to just above her immaculately plucked eyebrows.

"I'm sorry do I know you?" Beth questioned when the woman had caught up to her.

"Right sorry I forgot. My names Jessica. Joey- the man who put Zach in a coma was my boyfriend. Nate showed me your picture when we were at the hospital- Sorry I'm rambling I tend to do that."

"Yeah. yeah you do. Listen I don't have much time what do you want?" Beth huffed and checked her watch. She couldn't afford this waste of time she needed to tell Nate what had happened. He'd known Zach for longer he might know something.

"You're going to Nate's house right? I only assume cus I was over a lot when I was cheating on Joey. we would spend so much time at his I practically lived there- sorry rambling."

"Yeah I am. Why?"

"Ill come too. You seem stressed so no doubt Nate will be too ill support him. Beth stopped fidgeting for a second and looked the red-head up and down. "I know I don't look like it but I'm fast. Are you sure you can keep up?" Jessica matched her stare head on and smirked, "c'mon bubbles. Lets go."

The rest of the walk goes by in a blur, as both girls race to get to Nate's house. As they get there, they both stop to take a breather, as they lean against the wooden walls of Nate's apartment building.

Beth Looked over at Jessica once she had caught her breath, and held out her hand; "I like you. Come over to Starstruck Coffee every once in a while and ill give you a drink on the house." Jessica smiles again, "You've got yourself a deal bubbles."

The door flings open, "For gods sake! Couldn't you have knocked first! Ive been stood at that door waiting to-" Layla scanned them both. "Where Is Zach?"

"Thats why I'm here actually" Beth answered, staring Layla down. She knew it wasn't a time for petty rivalries but she didn't care.

Sensing the tension, Jessica and Nate each grab one of the girls; simultaneously, they say "I think its best we go inside." locking eyes they both smirk but quickly hide it as they drag the two feisty woman apart.

Once they'd all sat down, Nate turns to Layla, "Listen. While Beth tells us what's happened stay quiet okay."

"Fine. whatever." she scoffs.

"Beth, lets hear it."

As Beth retells the story of what happened, they all sit on the edge of their seats. It feels like forever before Beth is finally done, because every time she tried to explain why she left Zach alone, she broke out into tears.

When she was finally done, the only person not looking at her with sympathy, despite the fact that she was obviously in distress, was Layla. Instead a look of fierce anger was chiselled onto her face. "How dare you."

"Layla-"

"Nate shut up." Layla shot him with a look that would've sent chills down the spine of even the strongest man. Nate was about to retort, when Jessica who'd moved from sat on the sofa next to bet, to sit on the arm of Nate's chair, squeezed his shoulder and shook her head.

"Beth. I trusted you to look out for him."

"Listen here you snobby bitch he's not yours." Beth held her ground.

"You left him. You left him alone." The second Layla said 'alone', the door burst open and Zach barrelled in panting heavily.

"Hey guys." he half saluted at them while clutching the wall.

"Miss me?"