Stale Doughnuts and The Radio

4 years later

"Nate!" Jess screeched, "you ate all the doughnuts!"

"They were stale anyway, chill out, dear" Nate joked back, placing his hand on her thigh. Anyone would think you're not happy about coming back" Nate laughed as he turned off the motorway.

"What are you talking about? Of course, I'm happy, we're all gonna be together again." Jess turned the radio up, to drown out Nate's laughter -

"Good morning, everyone, I'm Jack Slater and I'll be presenting the local business section of our radio show!" the overly energetic voice burst through the radio,

"Jesus!" Nate's hand shot to the sound dial and turned it way down, "remind me never to let you drive my car with the girls again."

Jess shot him a look that promised violence, but Nate just laughed it off.

"Today our very own Starstruck Coffee is having a grand re-opening, alongside a special event. The new owners Beth and Zach are excited to welcome you all at 3pm,"

Jess turned to Nate and grinned, as they passed the town signalling, they were home, "Took them long enough, didn't it".

Nate's laughter shuddered through the car.

The car pulled to a halt outside an old brick building, Victorian pillar surrounded all sides, and the window's had arches that seemed to reach for the skies, far above, music played, and voices murmured excitedly. The Victorian architecture was replaced by cream walls, and more modern windows, the bass coming through them almost made the old building shake.

The sky was a teal blue, without a cloud to break it, the warm sun was a friend against the piercing cold of the late autumn morning.

Songbirds hummed through the streets, magpies flew together, doves circled around each other. Even the squirrels in the trees seemed to be in love, they ran through the canopy of the forest opposite the building, almost dancing, as the swerved around birds and fallen pinecones, they soared, and twirled, all the while chittering to each other, as if they were the only two creatures in the world.

"DADDY! Look squirrels!" a little girl's voice broke through the serenity, as Jess and Nate turned to face the disruption,

"Yes dear," a weary voice sounded just behind, "they seem to be in love." the voice chuckled.

"Like you and Mummy." the little girl giggled as she broke through the trees, dragging along a slender man behind her.

The chuckling stopped, as the man followed through and locked eyes with Nate, the two just stared at each other speechless, after four years, Zach hadn't changed a bit, he had the same piercing eyes, and his dark hair was as sleek as ever, the only difference was the flecks of grey in his scraggly beard. He looked tired but happy, as if he had spent his whole life waiting for this moment.

"Zach?" Nate said barely a whisper,

"Nate." Zach held his arms out to his friend, as they embraced, two old friends reunited for this moment.

"Uncle Nate!" The little girl made herself known once more, "Where's my hug?" She stood with her arms on her hips, in a power pose, glaring angrily up at him, her brown hair hung loosely in pigtails, her light brown skin seemed to sparkle in the sun, her denim jumpsuit was covered in mud, "I'm sorry Robyn," Nate replied, I'd forgotten you were here, he chuckled.

Jess slapped his arm lightly, "Don't be cruel to the poor girl. Zip up your coat so you don't get that nice suit dirty and give her a hug," Nate complied and lifted Robyn into his arms, "How about we go for a walk then, let your dad and Jess catch up." Robyn looked at him and grinned, "Okay. We've gotta be back soon, Daddy can't be late for today."

"Of course, don't worry." Nate started weaving around pinecones, Robyn still in his arms, he called back over his shoulder, "We'll meet you guys inside,"

Zach chuckled and wiped a tear from his eye, "Five years, eh?" he turned to Jess who was standing beside him,

"Four actually," she laughed, "Robyn must be taking it out of you, if you can't remember how many years it's been." She looked longingly between the trees where Nate's figure was pointing at some ducks on the lake, "big day huh?"

"The biggest," Zach replied, sitting down on a bench nearer to the entrance of the park. The black iron gateway stood powerfully above them, supported by a brick wall, which Jess assumed covered the whole park,

"You ready?" she asked, lowering herself down to sit beside him,

"Will I ever be?" he chuckled from beside her, "No, I'm not. But..." he stared through the windows, of the mix of modern and Victorian architecture Infront of them, "With her I don't think it matters,"

Jess smiled lightly and went to respond, but Robyn came bounding out the gate.

"DADDY!" she yelled, "It's almost time." she pointed to a pink sparkly watch on her wrist, "Let's go!" she said, grabbing Zach and tugging him towards the entrance, "I still need my dress on."

The turquoise interior of Zach's apartment had been decorated with flowers and banners, his sister Hannah sat in the corner, poking at a stereo trying to get some music to play. He stood there for a second soaking it all in, his friends, his family, all seated Infront of him, ready, waiting. His best friend Nate stood beside him, and his daughter stood directly Infront of him.

Zach sniffed as a tear slowly trickled down his cheek, Robyn looked up at him and smiled, "Don't cry Daddy." she whispered softly, unhooking the sparkly watch on her wrist. "Put this on and you'll feel better." she lifted it up to him, and Zach heard Nate laugh behind him. Zach unhooked his own watch and whispered back, "you hold onto this then. It's very old, even older than you." Robyn nodded at him, and Zach felt Nate's hand on his shoulder. "Here we go." Nate whispered behind him.

'Here comes the bride' started playing, courtesy of Hannah finally figuring out the speakers, and the audience hushed, all turning to face the stairs, as Beth descended, clad in a white dress, Sean on her arm, he gave Zach a knowing nod when they reached the altar, and handed him over to her.

'Do you, Zach West, take Beth Dai to be your lawfully wedded wife, in sickness and in health." the priest asked, stood in front of the two of them. Zach stared longingly into Beth's eyes, and found only love and joy,

"I do." he replied.

"And do you Beth Dai-"

"I do." Beth grinned, feet tapping nervously on the hardwood floor. Robyn huffed from behind her, and Nate laughed from his seat among Zach's family.

"Then with the power vested in me," the priest looked between the two of them, and at their hands clasped before him "I now pronounce you, man and wife. You may kiss the bride."

The sound of clapping filled the apartment as they embraced once more.