Chapter 1

Unbeknownst to everyone in Toman, Sano Manjiro and Hanagaki Takemichi had lept through time and fixed what was broken. From Sano Shinichiro's murder to Kisaki Tetta's conspiring to Baji Keisuke's death, Mikey and Takemichi were able to prevent it all—and now, they could enjoy their lives with their friends and their gang as everyday, run-of-the-mill delinquents.

Hanemiya Kazutora was one of the members whose life changed drastically through their intervention. He hadn't killed anyone anymore, he wasn't sent to juvie, he hadn't betrayed his friends—at this moment, he was Toman's fourth division captain. And now that, in this timeline, he isn't racked with guilt over the deaths of Shin and Baji, he was able to grow into his own and develop a personality that was the complete opposite of his unhinged counterpart: he was pretty shy, he loved to laugh, he was smart but he always skipped class, he was strong and loyal, and, being a gang member, he was a bit scary to the normies who attended their high school.

There was a spot in his school's building he usually frequented whenever he played hooky: the third-floor staircase leading up to the rooftop. It was a U-shaped staircase, and the rooftop door was always locked, so no one ever went up there. Most of the time, he would sit at the upper half of the stairs, hidden from the people walking through the hallway below, and play with his phone. Today, though, he was half asleep when he heard someone cry.

"Please, I don't want any trouble! I just want to get to my class," someone squeaked.

"Obviously, we won't have any trouble if you just do what we asked," said a deep voice said.

Kazutora, annoyed that his nap was disturbed, peeked his head through the stair wall to see two third-years towering over a nerdy boy, one of them holding on to the kid's collar. Poor kid, he thought. He was probably switching classrooms and ran into them.

The other senior piped up. "Just give us your money and we'll leave you alone."

Bullying some kid over money? Kazutora thought. How cliché can you get?

He was getting ready to go help the kid when he suddenly heard a fourth voice.

"Hey! What do you think you guys are doing?" Kazutora peeked again, only to see L/N Y/N coming to defend the nerd.

Is she insane? He thought. Y/N was his classmate, and she was known for being popular and pretty. He couldn't deny that she was gorgeous, but she also seemed to be a snob, a kiss-up to the teachers, a fake—that was his impression, anyway. While they were in the same class, he skipped too much to actually get to know her (and the rest of his classmates for that matter).

"It's the princess," said one senior, his grasp on the boy's shirt tightening, "Leave us alone and maybe we can flirt some other time."

Kazutora was about to make his way down to put an end to things when Y/N grabbed the senior by his hair, bringing his face level to hers. Her eyes widened as she threatened the thug. "I said, what do you think you guys are doing?"

The nerdy kid was able to take advantage of his senior's shock; he pulled away from his grasp and ran down the stairs to safety. Pissed that his human wallet escaped, the senior grabbed the Y/N's arm, forcing her to let go of his hair. "There goes my lunch money," he said. "Now you'll have to be the one to compensate for him."

Before Kazutora could even move to help her, Y/N kneed the senior in the gut, bringing him to his knees. She took his head in her hands and kneed him again. This time, he fell to the floor. The other bully watched what he had done in shock, but he quickly composed himself and formed a fist with his hand. Before he could even pull back, she kicked him in the crotch, and then to the side of his head, bringing him down beside his friend.

"I better not catch you idiots bullying other kids," she spat down at them, "or else."

The two seniors mumbled their apologies and half-walked, half-crawled away from her. Kazutora was frozen at the top of the stairs, not believing what he had just witnessed. She's strong, he thought. She did all that before he could even react. He felt a little inadequate, knowing he could've helped but didn't.

Y/N took her gaze off the seniors and was about to make her way down the hall when she spotted Kazutora on the landing. They stared at each other for what seemed like an hour, but she eventually smiled and put her finger to her lips, as if to say, "Let's keep this as our little secret."

He watched her walk away and, to his surprise, he found himself smiling. Maybe I was wrong about her after all.

+ + +

"Earth to Kazutora," Baji said, waving his hand in front of his friend's face. "Are you even listening?"

Kazutora really hadn't been listening. He could not take his mind off what happened earlier. Once Baji snapped him out of his thoughts, Kazutora asked, "What's it like to have a crush?"

"What?" Chifuyu asked, nearly spitting out his drink. He, Baji, and Kazutora were hanging around their bikes outside of a convenience shop. They were meeting Draken, Mikey, and Takemichi later, so they decided to shoot the shit there to kill time.

"Where is this coming from?" Chifuyu questioned.

"Personally, I don't have time for girls," Baji answered. They both stared at the Toman staff officer. He was still in school mode, with his glasses still on and his hair slicked back into a sleek ponytail. "I'm way too busy with exams and homework to even think about having a girlfriend," he added.

"Too busy failing your exams and homework, you mean," Chifuyu said, dodging a punch from Baji. "Anyway Kazutora, why are you even asking? Got someone you like?"

"No, I was just wondering," Kazutora mumbled.

"You should ask Draken," Baji said as he tried putting Chifuyu in a chokehold, unable to forget the blonde's insult. "Since, you know, he likes—"

"Ask Draken what?" a deep voice bellowed. The trio turned to find Draken, Mikey, and Takemichi behind them. "What did you want to ask me?" Draken repeated.

"Kazutora asked what it's like to have a crush," said Baji, "And since, you know, you have a crush on—"

"Baji-san, shut the fuck up!" Chifuyu hissed.

"I have a crush?" Draken asked, looking down at them. Kazutora, Chifuyu, Baji, and Takemichi all gave each other the side-eye. Mikey was too busy munching on his dorayaki to notice.

"Kazutora-kun," Takemichi said as he attempted to cut through the awkwardness, "you have a crush on someone?" Tears threatened to well up in his eyes. In another life, Kazutora was in jail. Here, he had a crush! Takemichi felt soft for his friends; he internally beamed with pride at the people they were becoming.

"No! Like, I was just thinking things," Kazutora stammered. "Anyway, why'd you guys want to meet up?"

"Oh good," Mikey finally brought his attention to them, "You guys brought your bikes. Let's pair up and go for a ride."

Takemichi ended up behind Kazutora, and as they were leaving, he said to his driver, "Hey, Kazutora-kun, if you have a crush, you can tell me! I can help you since I do have a girlfriend after all."

Kazutora rolled his eyes as they took off, riding down the streets of Tokyo.