Chapter 3

Great, Y/N thought. Another thing I have to do. It was after school and Y/N was in the art club room. There weren't any exhibitions or contests coming up, so the club's members were just killing time drawing on their sketchpads. Even with all the chores, all the school work, and all the committee tasks that Y/N had to do, it was an unspoken nonnegotiable deal she had with herself to join the school's art club. Her mom probably assumes that she'll be going to law school and following in her footsteps, but Y/N wants nothing more than to explore being an artist.

She was doodling in her notebook and thinking about the delinquent she was tasked to tutor. Hanemiya Kazutora. He had seen her knock down those bullies a couple of weeks back, and she doesn't think he's told anyone about it either. In truth, Y/N wasn't a fighter, and she was scared to death when she confronted those seniors-but she couldn't just do nothing.

Anyway, it's not like he has anyone in the class to tell. A mean thought, but it was true. Everyone was scared of him, so they kept their distance. Was she scared of him? She couldn't decide. She knew of Toman's reputation and that her classmate was one of the gang's leaders. But in class, he mostly kept to himself. And as far as she knew, he hasn't yet gotten into trouble for threatening other students-his infractions were mostly truancy related. Still, his face betrayed nothing in the two times she acknowledged him before this tutor-tutee deal.

I wonder if he'll be troublesome to tutor. When it came to studying, she liked the quiet; no distractions. I'm going to have to make our tutoring sessions a review-slash-study period for me, too. She'd have to rework her reviewers and notes to make it work, but it could be done. It was, after all, the most efficient way to make use of their study time. She just wonders if he'll cooperate with her. He was a delinquent, after all, and he probably wanted to spend his time with his fellow gang members whenever he could. If he gives up, there goes my recommendation. Y/N told herself that, at least. She didn't want to acknowledge that she was curious about Hanemiya Kazutora.

She, like her classmates, wondered why he suddenly started showing up to class. Not that it was a bad thing; students belong in school. When she found her lessons particularly interesting, she would steal glances at him, wondering what he thought. He always had a bored expression, but his focus was more often than not on their teachers. Whenever she caught herself wrapped up in these thoughts, she would quickly snap herself out of it. She didn't care for the boys in her class, and he wasn't an exception. In fact, he's probably the boy she should stay away from the most. Still, she thought.

"Hey, L/N," said Miyamura, the art club president. "What are you working on?"

"Oh, just-" she looked down at her drawing. She had been idly doodling, lost in her thoughts, so she was surprised to find a sketch of Kazutora's bell earring in the notebook before her.

"I-it's a bell," she muttered.

"It's pretty. Actually, it looks kind of familiar..."

Y/N slammed her notebook shut, surprising her fellow club members. "Uhm, I think I'm not feeling too well," she said. "Is it okay if I leave early?"

"Oh, of course! Feel better, L/N."

Y/N packed up her things and hurriedly left the room. He's not special at all, she reminded herself. I have more important things to think about.

+ + +

It was already 11 p.m., but Kazutora had yet to hear from his tutor. Toman's top admin had a meeting that night, and he was dressed in his uniform.