Chapter 4

When Kazutora got to the library, Y/N was already there waiting for him. It was 10 minutes to 7—he made sure he got there early to make a good impression, but his plan was foiled. She looked up to see Kazutora standing by the entrance and waved at him. He walked over and sat down across from her.

"Hi," he said tentatively.

"Hi!" She looked around him. "Where are your books?"

FUCK. He started to get red in the face. "I-I forgot them," he grinned sheepishly despite his embarrassment. "I usually never have them."

"Oh," she was dumbfounded; she even gaslit herself into thinking that it was her fault for not telling him which specific books to bring. "Sorry, I think I wasn't clear when we made plans. But I can share with you." She got up and sat on the chair beside him. She was so close and he could feel his heart pounding. He could even smell her perfume. Thank you god for making me an idiot, he silently prayed.

She opened her books and began to teach. They went over a few of the things they took up in class in the past couple of weeks, and to her surprise, he was able to pick up on the lessons quickly. Oh, he's kind of smart, she thought. Kazutora was doing his best to concentrate, but he also couldn't help but study the little doodles Y/N drew at the borders of her books. They were completely annotated with her sketches.

"Do you draw?" Kazutora asked during their five-minute break.

Y/N felt her face turn red and hoped he didn't notice. "Ah, yeah a little bit. It kind of helps me concentrate," she laughed.

Kazutora touched the pages where the drawings were. "They're nice," he smiled. "You're really talented."

Y/N felt her heart pound at that. Sure, she had heard the same compliments from her fellow art club members, but this felt different. "Thanks," she said shyly. She needed to change the subject. "What about you? What are your hobbies?"

Kazutora stroked his chin. "Hmm, riding my rocket...hanging with my friends...I think that's it."

"A rocket?"

"It's my motorbike," he said, suddenly feeling self-conscious. They were talking properly now, but he was still aware that she was a star student and he was a delinquent. That reminded him...

"Where'd you learn how to fight?"

Y/N blushed. "Oh, that," she started. "I was just lucky. I really don't know how to fight."

"That was all luck?"

"Yeah, well, I mean," she stammered. "When I was younger, I put myself through self-defense classes. I was lucky because those senpais were in similar stances to our 'enemies' in class."

Kazutora felt that there was more to her answer than that, and he was right. But she didn't feel like telling him she only took those self-defense classes because her mom would always come home late, and she was scared of being alone at night.

"Oh, I guess that makes sense," he said. "But you also threatened them?" He laughed.

"Stop laughing!" But at this point, she was giggling, too. "I figured they wouldn't try anything more if I did so!" After they both calmed down, she asked, tentatively, "So...do you know how to fight?"

Now it was his turn to turn red. Of course he knew how to fight. Everyone in Toman, except Takemitchi, knew how to fight. But he really didn't want to scare her off, especially since he felt the conversation between them had been going well. "Uhm, yeah, I do," he said and then quickly changed the subject. "I just remembered I have a question about this equation."