Chapter 7

The pair had been able to sneak out of the school building and made it to where Kazutora parked his rocket. He grabbed his helmet and put it on Y/N's head. "Safety first," he told her. He got on his bike and then motioned for her to get behind him. She climbed onto the back and when she was comfortably seated, he grabbed her hands behind him and wrapped her arms around his waist. They both couldn't see how badly they were blushing. "Hold on tight," Kazutora instructed, though he still couldn't believe how bold he had acted. He started the engine and Y/N felt it rev under them, then they took off.

"Where are we going?" Y/N yelled at her driver.

"Kanagawa," he replied.

"Kanagawa?!"

"Kanagawa! It's an hour away and it's a beautiful drive. You'll like it," he said, and although he didn't turn to face her, she could sense that he was smiling. She hugged his waist tighter and rested the side of her head on his back, enjoying the view.

Kazutora felt his heart race at her gesture, and he was thankful that his bike's engine drowned out the sound of his pounding chest.

+ + +

The water was glittering and the air smelled faintly of sea salt. Y/N couldn't remember the last time she was at the beach, so when she took off her shoes to feel the sand under her feet, she was surprised by how fine and powdery it felt. For the first time that day, Y/N cracked a smile.

Kazutora followed suit and took off his shoes. He grabbed her hand, surprising both her and himself, and started running towards the clear blue water.

"Let's go!" He half-yelled, half-laughed.

The last time he was here was when he went with Toman. He had a lot of good memories here, and he wanted to make more with Y/N.

"Hey!" Y/N yelled when Kazutora splashed her with water. "Not cool!" She then started kicking water up at him.

"That's not fair!" He laughed. They played in the water, dampening their school uniforms in the process, but they didn't care. Y/N's thoughts were finally off her argument with her mom from the night before.

Before long, the sun started to set. Kazutora and Y/N sat beside each other and watched as the sun vanished into the horizon. This is kind of romantic, Kazutora thought. He looked at Y/N, whose face glowed from the dimming sunlight. She had a soft smile on her face and she was the most beautiful she had ever looked. Kazutora had to look away because he wanted to start a conversation and he knew he wouldn't be able to speak if he stared at her for too long.

"So hey," he started, "I know it's none of my business, but did something happen?"

The soft smile never left Y/N's lips, but her eyes couldn't hide her sadness.

"I had a fight with my mom last night. She just has too many expectations of me that I don't want to fulfill. It's suffocating. Like, I'm just really tired," she said. She told him all about how her mom wants her to follow in her footsteps and become a lawyer, too. She told him about how she takes on extra responsibilities in school and at home just to appease her, but that it's starting to not feel worth it anymore, especially since she doesn't want to be a lawyer. She told him that she always felt like she was doing everything alone, even when she was still a kid.

Kazutora had no idea she had been going through any of this. In his eyes, she was a star student who everyone loved. It seemed like she had everything figured out, so to find out that she had so many doubts and fears was really eye-opening to him. Her hand was resting right beside his, and he gently went in to hold it. She was surprised but she tried her best not to react, although a faint blush was already creeping onto her cheeks.

"We're kind of alike," he said, his eyes still facing the sea. "When I was young, my dad had so many expectations of me and my mom. He was a really violent man and we were both scared of him." Y/N felt Kazutora's hand squeeze hers tighter and she turned his attention to him. The light made his eyes look even more golden, but his expression was troubled as he told his story. "One day, he just up and left. I don't remember exactly how it happened, but I remember feeling so relieved; like my mom and I were finally free. But now my mom had to work to sustain the both of us, so I was left alone a lot, too. I was just really lucky I had my friends, Baji, Chifuyu, and everyone in Toman." He turned to face her and said, "You're not alone either. You have a lot of friends you can rely on. And you have me."

Kazutora looked down in embarrassment, and it was only then that he noticed she was squeezing his hand as tight as he was squeezing hers. He looked up at her and met her eyes. The sun had completely set at this point, and her face was illuminated by a combination of the moon and street lights. She was so beautiful, and he suddenly felt the urge to confess his feelings to her.

"Y/N, I—"

"Well, what do we have here?" A voice said behind them.

They both turned, quickly letting go of each other's hands.

There were eight guys in purple boilersuits. Kazutora recognized these uniforms from when he came here with Toman when he was 12. They were from a local gang, and if the rumors were true, they were pretty violent.

"Hey, boss," one of them said to the person who addressed the pair, "I recognize this guy. He's one of Tokyo Manji Gang's captains."

"Tokyo Manji Gang?" his boss repeated. "This isn't your territory."

Normally, Kazutora would pick a fight, but he was with Y/N, and he was scared for her safety. "We're just here to have fun," he said to them slowly. "We'll leave now. We don't want to cause any problems."

"Awww, no," the boss said, "why don't we have a little fun?" He pulled Y/N's arm to get her to stand.

"Let go of me!" She yelled. Kazutora quickly got on his feet and grabbed onto the boss's arm, causing him to let her go.

"If you don't want to get hurt, you'll let us leave right now," Kazutora was pissed now, and he couldn't help but threaten the gangster.

"Oh, now we're going to have fun," the boss threw a punch at Kazutora, but he was able to dodge it. Kazutora landed his own punch at the boss's face, then gave him a swift kick in the chest. Kazutora stepped between the gangsters and Y/N, shielding her from them.

"Fucker," the boss spat. "It's eight against two. You seriously think you'll win against us?"

Y/N was paralyzed with fear. This was nothing like her self-defense classes and her earlier confrontation with those bullies at school. She knew she couldn't defend herself here.

"Run," Kazutora hissed at her. "Please. I'll hold them off."

She didn't want to leave him, but he turned to look at her and smiled. "Please," he repeated. "I'll take care of this but I just please need you to run."

Y/N nodded and took off quickly to the street.

"She's getting away!" one of the gangsters yelled, but Kazutora lunged at him. He was throwing punches left and right, and he was able to knock a couple of them down. But it was still eight against one, and soon enough, they overwhelmed him.

Y/N made it to the street and finally turned to look back. Kazutora was lying on the sand and his arms were covering his face as the gangsters kicked and stomped on him.

"Kazutora," she yelled, and she was about to take off towards him, but then she suddenly felt someone grab her arm.

"Stay here," a guy with a blonde faux hawk said to her. "We'll help him."

She looked behind the blonde to see a bunch of guys in black uniforms getting off their own bikes. They quickly ran to the other gangsters to aid Kazutora. They started beating up the men in purple, and it was clear that the guys who had threatened them were completely outmatched.

"By the way," the blonde said to Y/N, "I'm Hanagaki Takemichi. We're part of the Tokyo Manji Gang."