four

The sound of the front door slamming shut followed by some giggling woke you up the next morning as your eyes squinted open. Your entire body ached as you rolled over, expecting Aki to be asleep next to you but frowning when you were met with cold empty sheets instead. You rubbed your eyes as you slowly sat up, a small cough echoing from your sore chest as your muscles screamed in protest. There was a little note next to your phone and a glass of water.

"Sorry I had to go, work stuff.

Text me when you wake up."

A small smile crept onto your lips as you read the note over a few times, glad he actually had to leave because of work and he didn't just dip out on you. Kobeni's voice was hushed in the other room, along with someone else's that you didn't recognize. After sipping some of the water then crawling out of bed and pulling on a big sweatshirt, you shuffled your way out of your room and into the kitchen. You noticed the sweats and t-shirt you lent Aki were neatly folded on the desk in your room as you were walking out.

"Hey, good morning! Hope I didn't wake you up." Kobeni greeted you excitedly. Arai was sitting next to her at the table as they both ate their breakfast sandwiches.

"Oh no, it's okay. I was already awake." You lied, clearing your throat a little as you made your way to the coffee pot.

"Arai, this is my roommate and best friend, y/n!" Kobeni introduced you and you waved, offering them a small smile.

"Nice to meet you." You said.

"Great to meet you too! I've heard a lot about you. Good things, of course!" He replied kindly.

You smiled at them and poured yourself a cup of coffee, adding a decent amount of milk and sugar to make it taste better and began looking through the fridge.

"Oh, I got you a breakfast sandwich! Its in the microwave." Kobeni added and you were so happy your whole face lit up.

"Ugh, I love you." You confessed to her as you grabbed it and sat down to eat.

"I know. Sooo, did Aki stay over last night?" She asked you, looking towards your room.

You nodded, swallowing your food. "Yeah, he had to leave early this morning. Said he had a work thing." You said with a wave of your hand before taking another bite.

You noticed Arai's eyebrows raise slightly as he pulled his phone out of his pocket and checked it, putting it back down when he saw there was nothing on the screen.

"Do you guys work together?" You asked him and he looked a little nervous. Definitely Kobeni's perfect match.

"Oh, yeah. We're in the same division." Arai answered quickly before inhaling more of his food. Your brain started to reel and question why Aki would've been called in but not him. Maybe he just didn't like you that much and wanted to get out of your apartment without it being awkward. You tried not to spiral too much. You barely knew him, so it shouldn't matter whether it was really work related or not.

"He's pretty much the head of our squad, so Makima has him do a ton of side jobs. Like  babysitting Power and Denji." Arai added confidently.

"Yeah, I've heard they're quite the handful." You said, a small smirk on your face thinking of all the stories you've heard about them. With that thought, you decided to text him like his note said to. You just sent him a simple 'good morning' and put your phone face down.

"Y/n, did you sleep okay? Your dark circles are like, way worse than usual.." Kobeni said, half joking. You definitely looked like a train hit you.

"I kinda almost drowned in the pond yesterday." You said casually while both Kobeni and Arai's jaws dropped. You explained the whole story to them, saving the details of your hot shower with Aki for telling Kobeni later.