therapy session #2

Silence envelopes the circle.

I take a long sip of my Country Time, still regretting not bringing popcorn. I puff a sigh, slouching as low as possible in my chair. "Guys, don't make me get out another ice-breaker," I warn, bored with the heavy atmosphere. "I even got you another poster. Doesn't it look nice next to the cat?"

We all turn to the corner to find a second poster, taped to the wall. It states, "Never let anyone dull your SPARKLE". The words are printed on eight by eleven paper, the ink becoming streaky near the bottom because I'm too cheap to buy new cartridges.

"It just kind of adds an oomph to the room, don't you think?" I smile, flaring my hand artistically.

"I hate it." Delilah stares with a dead look in her eyes. "And why haven't you replaced your printer cartridges?"

"You just shake them! They never run out." I put my hand on my clipboard over the blank space that isn't supposed to be there. "The poster came out just fine."

"You might as well get the live, laugh, love décor too," Uri adds. His tone is equal to Delilah's.

"Not a bad idea..." I glance around as it goes overly quiet again and the atmosphere grows heavy once more. I sigh. "Look, I know that last chapter is the most traumatic thing that has ever happened to you, but we have readers who are waiting for the kiss and I can't just let them down like this. So, let's talk this over and then-"

"I'm not talking to her," Uri states, his arms crossed. "I'm still mad."

"Understandable." I nod. "But the only way we can get through this is if we talk."

"Not with him." Delilah folds up tighter in her chair.

"Hey, I gave your chair back because I felt bad for you," I point at her, my eyes narrowing. "but refusing to cooperate is not helping the storyline at all."

"Whatever." Uri rolls his eyes. "Who cares about the stupid story anyways?"

"Uri," My face is in a bored glare. "No one cares about your opinion."

"Yeah," Delilah nods.

"I think Uri's opinion counts..." Agatha pipes in, raising her hand like a student.

"Agatha, you're not getting any brownie points for trying to help this one," I say, pointing at the redhead. "He's a lost cause."

"What the heck. Why are we still here?" The lost cause throws up his arms. "This is the worst therapy I've ever been forced to take!"

"This is the only therapy you've been forced to take!" I counter, pointing my pen at him. "So drink your lemonade and we're gonna do an ice-breaker."

"Nooo..." Delilah and Uri plea simultaneously.

I take a breath, a wide grin pulling on my lips. "Waffles or pancakes?"

"Ughhhhh." Uri rubs his face with both hands.

"Oh my gosh..." Delilah shakes her head as her eyes roll.

"I'll go first!" I sit up straight in my chair, crossing my legs. "Waffles!"

Uri's face is completely blank, and his eye twitches. "Pancakes."

I purse my lips, turning to Delilah who mirrors Uri's expression.

"Pancakes."

"What? You're both doing this because I like waffles!" I gasp.

"Whatever."

"Maybe."

"I like waffles...." Agatha mumbles.

"Again, not getting any points." I shake my head. "You're still just a side character, Agatha."