Really

☽ KIRA ☾

The rogue attack was worse than bad. Hundreds of wolves had flooded into Valkyrie pack lands and tried to lay waste to the city. But hundreds could not stand up to thousands. Damian required every member of his pack to be trained in the art of defending their home, and they made quick work of the intruders. Each of them refused to yield, so each of them died for their hubris.

I looked out over the piled-up bodies, ready for burning. Magic sparked along my fingers as I walked past them all, searching for something. But I found nothing. Nothing had compelled these wolves to attack us except the word of a man who promised them their own pack lands if they succeeded in wounding us.

We weren't the only ones that felt Nikolai's wrath; the other packs who had attended the treaty signing had been attacked at the same time we were. We all weathered the night and came out the other side with dead rogues and only a few lives lost. But something was nagging at me. We were all in danger, not just the packs that were at the treaty. Nikolai wouldn't stop with us; he would go after any werewolves in his quest to get to me.

I circled my way back around to where Damian, Skye, and Dimitri were standing. Corey trailed behind me quietly. He had been a constant presence, and I was growing to find it comforting. Having someone there whose sole purpose was to fight for me amongst so many wolves that could easily hate me for my past brought me a sense of peace.

Damian looked up at me as I neared him, and my eyes traveled over him briefly. He was wearing black slacks, and a white button-up with the sleeves rolled up his arms. His hair was disheveled like he had run his hands through it a hundred times, but his eyes were bright, and Onyx danced at the surface. I couldn't fully feel his emotions, but I felt enough to know he was angry about the attack and relieved I had done as I was told and stayed back in the house.

"How does this not break the treaty?" He asked as I stopped beside the small group.

"He didn't use his vampires; he didn't come himself. He can use werewolves, humans, and witches, and it won't break the treaty." I paused, thoughtful. "The packs need wards, all of them."

Werewolves and humans were one thing that I knew every pack could handle, but witches were a whole different thing. Witches fought with magic and could take out a werewolf with a simple spell if they so desired and were strong enough. There wasn't a witch alive with magic stronger than mine, but I couldn't be everywhere all the time. And Damian would never let me leave his side.

"Wards?" Skye asked thoughtfully.

"Yes, wards, wards against unlawful entry into their lands. Every pack, even the ones that weren't at the castle, needs to be warded by witches that can be trusted before Nikolai uses magic against us."

"You really think he'll go after the packs that weren't there?" Dimitri asked, disbelief clouding his tone.

"I know he will. He'll do anything to draw me out of the safety of these lands. The more that die, the less I'm going to be content sitting here and waiting for him to come to me."

A low growl left Damian, and he pulled me into his arms. "You can't leave until Circe returns."

His words made my shoulders sag again. It had been three days since we had removed the collar around my neck, and there was still no sign of Circe. I felt an emptiness in my very being that rivaled the one I felt during my final years as Nikolai's prisoner. Part of me was missing; I'd argue the most vital part.

I leaned into Damian's hold, my head on his chest. We hadn't been able to spend much time together as he was busy being an Alpha, and I had been busy resting. Getting my magic back had taken a lot out of me. Getting that magic under control had taken some time, but now I no longer felt like it was going to explode out of me at the slightest provocation.