16. Atlas, titan of hearts

🪷

🪷

Monday, early October

Amaya looks up, high up, at the blond-haired boy in front of her. She stumbles a bit over her own feet as he leads her through the fancy school hallway, statues of old principals, paintings and heavy velvet curtains flashing by. Her mind is buzzing, and so her feet can't keep up either. Reality doesn't feel real anymore.

Atlas is really handsome. Not just in the regular highschool way, no. He doesn't just have a symmetrical face with a nice haircut, there is so much more to him. His blond hair falls just a little bit in front of his forehead, and it fits his heart face-shape so perfectly, it's like candy to the eyes. His scent is faint, but still present, a whisk of lemon. It fits his playful, and yet confident smile- that shines up any room he walks into. It's not a big smile, but somehow it feels much happier than any other, and whenever he smiles his face looks the most beautiful.

Amaya doesn't really know if she has often met men who are beautiful. But this guy is not just handsome. He really is, what she would define as, beautiful. His eyes sparkle like ice crystals, but they're not too bright. In fact, they're just dark enough to give off that warm, fuzzy feeling that makes anyone feel at ease around him. Almost like they've known him all along, an old friend. He's kind and playful in a way that makes hearts swoon for him, but there is also a hint of confidence and authority behind his gaze that makes others respect him, as well as find him mysterious. Mysterious enough to fall madly in love with him.

With all of this considered, Amaya doesn't understand why Atlas, this unnaturally beautiful student, is holding her by her wrist and leading her away from the lunchroom. She looks down at his hand, where he holds onto her. It's not a tight grip, it's gentle, but still firm enough to keep her calm and reassured. It seems like everything about this guy is way too perfect. So perfect it almost scares her off. But his calm nature makes her stay, and so she lets him softly drag her through the hallways, all the way to the second floor, continuing on towards the third, before she even dares to say a word.

"Where are we going?"

Atlas turns around to look at her, but he doesn't stop walking. Amaya half expects herself to swoon immediately when their eyes meet. He has that ability. That specific charm that is so subtle, and yet so hard to reach. Anyone would dream to have such a talent, to be able to make others fall in love with them with just one look. But only few have that talent. Atlas is one of them. His eyes sparkle, his beautiful and faintly confident smile shine with playful mischief, and yet genuine empathy. But when he turns around to look at Amaya with that beautiful charm, Amaya doesn't feel as swooned as she should.

Sure, he's handsome as fuck. And her heart does flutter at the sight of him. He just saved her, after all, like some main lead from a romance novel. But she does not swoon, not even for a second. Something is just keeping her from him, and she doesn't know what that is.