These Hands

Harry has snuck into the infirmary and now holds Gellert Grindewald's unconscious body to his chest, stabbing the tip of his wand into Gellert's neck. "Back off," he commands. He sounds so much colder than Salazar has ever heard him. What happened to the crying, cryptic boy Salazar knew? "Back off or he gets it!"

Salazar has the distinct feeling that this man is going to 'get it' one way or another, but the threat is convincing enough for the other Founders, who are all huddled together, holding their wands out. Helga takes a few steps backwards. "My dear boy," says Hegla, "What are you doing?"

"I'm doing what needs to be done! I'm doing what I should have done a long, long time ago! I might never have this chance again. No, I know I will never get this chance again! I must act!"

And then he laughs loudly, only it's not the soft, melodic noise it usually is. The sound of it makes Godric cringe. "Love," he says. "Put down your wand. We can talk about this. There's no need to get violent."

"I am made of violent," spits Harry, stabbing the wander deeper into Gellert's neck. Salazar would wince, if he was a laser man... or if he cared about Gellert at all. "I am made of it! Do you hear me? Every fibre of my being is violent!"

Salazar decides that it is his time to speak. "Then kill him," says Salazar softly.

Harry's eye whirl toward him. "What?" he says -- jarred.

"If you are so made of violence, then act like it. Lie him dead where he stands. You're prepared to deal with the consequences, aren't you?" A pause. Harry looks physically pained... but he does not move to kill. He stands frozen to the spot. Salazar takes a step forward with the boldness of Godric Gryffindor himself. "But I have the feeling this hesitation is not about the consequences at all. You don't care about what we can do to you -- no, your problem lies within your weeping heart. You have too much a conscience on you to kill this man. So let's stop pretending otherwise and step away from the unconscious fellow."

Harry jerks, as if to consider this, but hardens. "You don't understand how desperate I am," he stresses.

Not desperate enough, thinks Salazar, knowing it is too provoking to say aloud. Not desperate enough to kill. "Then tell me," says Salazar, just a provoking.

"Salazar," chides Rowena.

Salazar does not even glance in her direction. He's handling this. He's in charge now, and they all know it. He is their Negotiator.

"I'm in danger," says Harry, blankly.

Good. It's a blanket statement of fact. Salar can work with that. "He will not be allowed to stay at the castle," allows Salazar. "We have no reason to keep an adult like him at Hogwarts past healing his injuries. He will be monitored, and you two will be kept separate. Is that okay?"

"You don't understand," Harry says, a pained whisper. "He'll find a way -- if I let him live, he will find a way to get to me. He'll disguise himself as a student. He'll be recruited as a staff member. Something will happen. He's chased me, and he's found me, and he will not stop at that."

"I will not allow that to happen," promises Slazar with genuity sincerity. For some reason, he wants to protect this divine creation. Protect... and keep him all to himself. He cannot allow another man to eat Harry alive, now can he? It's just not in his nature.

Harry laughs. A bitter thing. "You might not," he agrees, "But he will."

And then he points with his non wand hand, extending past Salzar and the Founders... and at the Headmaster.

Salazar allows an eyebrow raise -- a small expression of his surprise. "The Headmaster? Harry, we are all on your side."

"Not him," says Harry. "You don't know him like I do."

"I... was not aware you two had met before your coming here."

"Does it matter?" laughs Harry. "He's after me. He wants me dead, more than anything, more than Gellert means to hurt me."

"That's absurd, Harry," says Salazar. But he cannot help but wonder what Harry knows that he doesn't... and knowing, really makes all the difference.

"You don't know what he's done. What he's going to do." He jabs the wand into Gellert's neck. "He'll allow Gellert into this school and he will allow it right under your noses. Betrayal is special, friends, because it does not come from our enemies but from our friends. And you all are about to be blindsided so effectively... you will learn betrayal. Or at the very least I will." He laughs again at this.

Salazar thinks for the first time that perhaps Harry isn't just interesting; he's actually insane. None of what he's saying makes any sense.

"I will protect you," says Salazar. "Godic and I -- Rowena and Helga -- we will protect you."

"I hope you're right, Salazar, because you are correct about one thing," he lets Gellert drop onto the bed. "I'm no killer," he says bitterly, remorsefully.

Everyone visibly relaxes. Harry starts crying angry, counteractive tears, and wipes them furiously form his face. Godric approaches him, speaking in a low tone.

Then a surprising thing happens... Gellert Grindelwald opens his eyes, and he smiles, revealing he'd been awake the entire encounter... and that he'd done nothing to stop it. It was as if he'd known all long that, even when faced with the perfect opportunity, Harry could not kill him. It is not the confidence of man that teeters on arrogance that is so off putting -- it is that smile.

The smile of a man who overlooks his chessboard and notes all the pieces are right where he wants them. It is the smile of a man who knows exactly what he wants... and exactly what he's going to get.

Salazar shivers in spite of himself.