05; 𝙎𝙩𝙚𝙡𝙡𝙖𝙧 𝙆𝙞𝙨𝙨𝙚𝙨

STELLA'S POINT OF VIEW

Chris and I have been meeting up daily under the big oak tree out in the courtyard, and honestly, it's been the highlight of my day every day. It's like an escape from reality. But we all know reality, and how cruel it is. Chris was called into a solo therapy session yesterday and I haven't seen or heard from him since. i'm beginning to get a little worried, but i try to convince myself it's nothing. maybe he just needed some space? i don't want to assume the worst, because that would just worry me more.
I walk into the common room, where Matt, Kelsey, Olympia, and Ember are sitting together. As soon as I enter, Ember's eyes light up, and she jumps up to greet me.

"Stella, you're here! We've been waiting for you," she says, a little too eagerly.

I give her a small smile and take a seat next to Olympia. "Ella, Em." i correct her. it's starting to feel like she does it to purposely piss me off, Lately she's been a little more short with me, I assume because of how much Chris and I have been hanging out, but we're just friends. Nothing more.

I can feel Chris's absence, and it makes me a little uneasy. Plus, because we've been hanging out so often, i swear Ember has been flirting with him a lot more lately, and it's starting to get on my nerves, even if i technically don't have any reason to be so upset over it.

"So, how's everyone doing?" I ask, trying to keep the conversation light.
Kelsey leans over and gives me a hug. "We're doing okay. Matt and I went to a really helpful therapy session this morning. And Olympia and I had a good talk about some things."
"That's great," I say, genuinely happy for them. "What about you, Emma? How's your day been?" Ember's smile falters a little. "It's been fine. Just trying to stay busy," she says, glancing around the room.
I can tell that she's looking for Chris, and it annoys me even more. why? why do i let it annoy me? it shouldn't annoy me. Before I can say anything, though, Dr. Connors walks into the room.
"Hello, everyone," she says, smiling warmly. "I just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing today."
There's a chorus of responses, and Dr. Connors nods his head in approval. "Good, good. Keep up the good work, everyone. And don't forget to support each other. That's why we're all here, after all."
As Dr. Connors leaves, I can feel the tension in the room ease a little bit. But I know that there's something still brewing between Ember and Chris, and I'm not sure how much longer I can handle it. I don't know what i expected when getting so close with Chris.
• • •
I take a deep breath as Chris walks into the common room, and my heart flutters at the sight of him. Why me. He looks a little tired, but his smile brightens up the room.
"Hey, guys," he says, taking a seat between Olympia & I. Ember immediately turns her attention to him. "Chris, how was your solo session yesterday?" she asks, her voice almost flirtatious. Oh so he hadn't talked to her either, that makes me feel a little bit better.
Chris shrugs. "It was fine. Just some stuff I needed to work through."
I can feel Ember's eyes on him, and it's making me uncomfortable. But then Chris looks at me, and my worries fade away. "Stelly, are you free later? I was thinking we could meet up under the oak tree again, you know, to make up for missing yesterday."
I nod, feeling relieved that he wants to see me again. "Of course. Same time?"
"Yep, same time," he confirms.
Ember clears her throat, and I turn to look at her. "Hey, Chris, do you want to join me for a walk around the courtyard?" she says, desperation sparkling in her eyes.
I can feel my jealousy rising, and I try to push it down. Chris looks at me before answering Ember. "Actually, I think I'm going to stick around here for a bit. But maybe we can go for a walk another time."
Ember looks disappointed, but she nods and heads out of the room. As soon as she's gone, I let out a sigh of relief.
"Sorry about that," Chris says, turning to me. "She's been a little... persistent lately."
I try to play it cool. "It's fine. I just don't like feeling like a third wheel." I don't lie. It's true. but also it's less about feeling like a third wheel and more like me wanting to be with Chris. Stop it. don't think like that.
Chris smiles at me, and I can feel my heart flutter again. "You could never be a third wheel, Stella."
We talk for a few more minutes, making plans for our next meet-up under the oak tree. As we're about to leave the room, Chris turns to me. "Hey, Stella, can I ask you something?" he says, looking a little nervous.
"Of course," I say, my heart pounding.
"I know we've been hanging out a lot lately, and I just wanted to tell you how much i appreciate it. and appreciate you"
My heart stops for a second, as he continues. "so yeah, just thank you. you've helped me more than you know, in such a short time."
I can't help but smile, feeling happier than I have in a long time. I feel my cheeks heat up at Chris's words, and my heart starts racing with a mix of excitement and nervousness. "Oh, uh, no problem. I appreciate you too," I say, trying to keep my voice steady. Chris looks down at his feet for a moment before meeting my gaze again. "I just want you to know that I really value our friendship, and I don't want anything to jeopardize that."
my heart beat quickens "Of course, Chris. I feel the same way, now that you're in my life i really couldn't imagine you not in it." I say with a smile.
We say our goodbyes and head out of the common room. As I walk back to my room,
I can't believe how lucky i am to have met this boy. it almost feels too good to be true.
• • •
As I'm laying in bed, I can't help but think about Chris and how much he means to me. Maybe our relationship is just meant to be a friendship, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy his company and cherish our time together.