Fly Channing

"Can you believe Channing is wearing that?" the living Barbie, Olivia Adams, whispered.

"It's like she bought it at Goodwill or something," the other said, the sidekick Anna Smith. She wrinked her nose and said it as if it was a bad thing. Like I was wearing a trash bag or maybe I smelled bad. It didn't matter if I did though, they would of disapproved anyway.

They looked right at me wide-eyed in the lunch room. They looked like they spent too much time on their makeup and didn't know the proper dress code. To these girls I looked like some sort of deranged animal. It's not how I would like to dress... it's just I hardly have any money. My dad works more than he should until he is dead to the world. Even then he doesn't get paid enough. He has diabetes and that just makes it harder for him. I'm the oldest and I try to get money any way I can. My only sister is just 4, Sadie. But these girls wouldn't understand what that is like. They have money coming out of their ears. They've never had to have to go a few days without eating or steal some clothes from the lost and found.

Still I checked what I was wearing. Nothing special really. A pair of old destressed skinny jeans, light blue Converse, and a beige well-fitted hoodie. Yes, I got most of the items I wore from Goodwill or thirft shops but I never really minded. Anything to keep some money for my family. I didn't like spending money on myself, my father needed it more than I will ever. He will always come before me.

I suddenly felt compeled to say something, I didn't know what but I needed to. "I uh... I just... sorry," I blurted and ran to the doors. I walked out of the school and onto the sidewalk pulling my hood up as drops of rain fell on me. Ditching school wasn't a rare thing for me. Besides I needed to take a walk and gather my thoughts. I walked downtown to a little hole-in-the-wall coffee shop. My best freinds mom owned the place and I always got a cup for free and had a small job there whenever I was needed.

"Hey Channing, how is the weather out there?" the owner, Lidia Flores, said cheerily. Since my mother died when I was only 14 Lidia has always took that place. She acts like she is my mother and loves me like I am her daughter. I love her like my mother too; She's all I got for that position and I couldn't ask for a better one. She and her daughter Ester and her son Mason are our neighbors because my mother, Tara, and her were bestfriends. So it's nice to have them by my side. They stuggle just like us though so it's hard.

"Cold. I hate it," I said smiling at her as she handed a cup of coffee to me. I took it consuming the warmth that filled my hands, sipping it and heating up instantly. "Thank you."

"You're welcome doll. Ester's in the back," she winked.

"Thanks Lidia," I said heading to the back. There I found Ester with her back turned toward me eating a bagel. I smiled to myself as I grabbed a mop and hit her on the head then turned to hide.

"What the...," she hollered, "Who is it?" She came around the corner and looked back and forth.

I had to keep myself from laughing when I finally yelled "Boo!"

She jumped and hit me, startled to death. I couldn't help but to laugh histarically falling on the floor while holding my sides. She stood over me with her arms crossed, disapproving. Which made me laugh even harder. I really couldn't help it. She broke soon and started laughing as well.

"You're an idiot you know that?" she said breathless, trying to calm down.

"Says you of all people," I laughed. We sat on the floor recovering.

Our friendship was perfect. We could be as mean as we wanted but it was all fun and games. We would always be there for each other. I may call her a bitch one minute but the next I could be standing by her side letting her cry on my shoulder telling her everything will be alright. I never thought of our relationship as "un-healthy" but if you didn't know us you might think we actually hated each other judging by the things we say. It's not so though. She was my other half- my bestfriend.

"You're such a moron. Why do I hang out with you?" she joked punching me in the arm.

"Because I am the Queen and you look up to me. I am the best. Boom,"

"No you're a peasant. Full of lies,"

"Psht I will beat you."

"What a sad induvisuial you are indeed." she sighed.

"Don't look at me," I said playfully shoving her head away. Her beautiful long brown hair covering her face. It was so dark and when you looked at her you could definatly see her Italian feautures from her mothers side. I swear she looked better than most models out there. Her look was unique and flawless really. Me on the other hand was much more common I think. I had blonde long hair to my waist with hits of gold, deep blue eyes, a tan, my nose was small, and my lips tinged cotton candy pink naturally. But nowadays you see many girls have this look. It annoys me too. But all in all I think Ester is much more beautiful than I could ever be.

She laughed, "So why are you here? I ditched school today too. Miss me? Ha!"

"No I did not. Ha! Just kidding, But actually I ditched because I just didn't want to be there I guess. Besides Olivia freaking Adams and her stupid puppet Anna Smith were talking about me."

She frowned, "You shouldn't let them get to you, you know."

"I wasn't it's just... hard I guess. But whatever."

"Yeah I know how that is... so anyway I have a question."

"Shoot," I grinned, "And I thought you were done talking."

"Not even close. Ha! But would you like to come over tonight? Sadie can too. "

"Yeah sure, thanks. I'll get some food for my dad so dinner will be covered. I've got to go get Sadie from school now anyway. I'll be over around 5:30."

"Okay see you retard. Love you!"

"Bye Ester, love you," I said getting up and heading to the front, "Bye Lidia."

"Bye doll!"

This time when I walked outside a rainbow stretched along the sky, because after every storm there is a rainbow.