Part 34

Chapter 34:

You could still feel the irritation flooding your veins. How dare he attack you so openly? How dare Aether even think of asking for you to heal the Fatui Harbinger after what he did? Did he hit his head on something? Did Scaramouche have mind-altering abilities?

"You're cutting off the circulation in my arm."

You gasp, letting the bandaging go as your gaze rose to meet Xiao's.

"I'm so sorry." You rush out, tugging the bandaging off to restart.

You really needed to get it together. Sure it was upsetting that your best friend had asked you to heal a murderer who had sustained his injuries via direct consequence of his actions... it didn't mean you had to tear Xiao's arm off with your ire. The adeptus didn't deserve that. Even if the Fatui Harbinger tried to take your life, it wasn't Xiao's fault. Even if it was scary that someone actively tried to take your life. Even if you're a little scared knowing that he's still out there.

"I'm fine."

Your gaze widened, looking towards the adeptus again. You're spiraling again. You need to get it together. You're worrying Xiao for no reason.

"The cut is shallow. I've sustained worse."

He's trying to console you, but it isn't working. You want to scream or cry. Probably a little of both. It's frustrating. You were supposed to have your strength back. You knew that Scaramouche was trouble. Your guard should have been up. It doesn't matter that he was with Aether... Your gut was telling you that it was trouble...

"I'm... sorry."

The bandaging was sitting in your lap, your fingers clenching the hand of the arm you were supposed to be bandaging. It was upsetting, being the cause of Xiao's injury.

"Why are you apologizing to me?" Xiao asked, cocking his head slightly.

If you weren't so upset, you'd find the action extremely cute.

"You got hurt because of me..." You murmur.

"You threw a wind blade at me?" the adeptus asked.

"What—No."

"Then I fail to see why you'd be at fault."

"But he was aiming for me!" You exasperate.

"Did you ask him to attack you?" Xiao asked.

"No, of course not, but—"

"I think that humans have weird notions when it comes to fault." The adeptus states.

"This would never have happened if I kept my guard up." You snap.

"By proxy, it would never have happened if Aether's new companion was not with him. Or if it was raining. Or if I had chosen to stay in Liyue instead of bringing you to Sumeru. Do you see what I'm trying to say?"

"It's not the same." You grumble.

"If I am going to make an effort to understand human emotions and pursue... this." He points at you and then himself. "Then you must also make an effort to understand my emotions and the way I understand things."

You blinked at the adeptus, shock evident in your features as he let out a shaky breath.

"Hold on... I'm pretty sure you just—" You cheeks explode with warmth as you digest the adeptus' words.

"Aether tells me that a relationship is a two-way road. Effort must be made from both ends." Xiao continues, trying to ignore the rose that raises to his cheeks.