Part 65

Chapter 65:

It was not the reassurance that you wanted to hear. You wanted something to tell Xiao. Something that would spur on your words of reassurance with conviction. Not some riddle of doom. This fucking sucked.

'What's that supposed to mean?' You asked, frown marring your features.

You words scrambled on the page once more before cursive took over.

I cannot give you any more information in that regard. I have already infringed on the laws of probability. Any more, and I risk dooming you, along with Teyvat, to a worse fate than what is already in store.

Those words are so not what you wanted to read. They're far too ominous for having not given you anywhere near the information that you wanted. What the hell kinda crap did you get forced into?

Fear not, my champion. You have done well in succeeding all the tools I have provided for you. It is my hope that it is enough in the end.

Again, your ally frays your nerves, chipping at an already fine haired line. It's unfortunate that they provided you no comfort to then help with Xiao's stress... you had hoped that you could at least quell his anxiety long enough for the boat ride home. He was getting more and more restless as the days passed. It wasn't exactly something you could help with, and in all honestly, the guilt was starting to choke you out. If only you guys were back home.

'You're ominous words haven't told me if Liyue suffers in our absence.' You scratch out against the card, small hope blooming from within.

Your so called ally's words had been hard to swallow, but cryptic enough that you could hope that it was a generalization and not just Liyue that was crumbling in on itself.

As it stands, Liyue prospers in your absence.

You blink at the words that scrawl across the card in your hand. Relief washed through you for a mere moment before suspicion claws its way to the forefront of your mind because... what does your ally mean when they specify your absence?

'Only in my absence?' You scratch against the card.

You know I can't expand any further. You, my champion, are someone I wish I could tell everything to. Alas, I cannot begin to start playing favorites. Try as I might, I am already on thin ice. Try to understand that I am doing my best to provide you with what you need, especially when you take the time to ask... but I cannot, in the face of everything, give you all the answers. Should I do so, you will have already lost.

You scrub your hands over your face, suppressing your groan if only to spare the resting Adeptus beside you. Apparently your efforts are in vain.

"What's wrong?" Xiao inquires, voice scratchy from disuse.

You turned your attention towards your adeptus, feeling your exhaustion hit you like a truck. It was always riddles. No straight answers. You'd like for this ally of yours to stop skirting around the issue. He reminded you of the politicians back home.

"Arguing with my ally." You admitted without shame.

You knew Xiao didn't approve of talking to them, but you also didn't want to lie to him, so you were straight forward. You wiped your hands over your face, scrubbing hard enough to keep you awake.

"About what?" You Adeptus inquired.

You were kinda shocked he didn't lecture you. Maybe he was saving it for later.

"The state of Liyue." You huffed out, letting your hands fall into your lap. "Which is apparently prospering in our absence, their words exactly." You added, avoiding having Xiao spiral about his home.