Chapter 3

As Esmé sat down in her previously determined seat next to Alma, she felt the tension in the air. The meal smelled amazing, but the tension between the two of them grew and she couldn't quite find her appetite.

The children could clearly sense it, because none of them talked for a long while and were all nervously glancing at each other.

"We'd like to apologize, Miss Peregrine and Miss Gyr. We shouldn't have done that." Horace said, nodding his head at each of us as he attempted to relieve the silence.

"It's alright." Esmé says gently with a forgiving smile, Alma though still seemed a bit off since the interaction.

"It's alright, Horace." Alma says and Esmé realizes it wasn't that that she was tense about. It was the conversation between the two they had before Esmé walked out.

Esmé was careful to avoid eye contact with Alma, instead making conversation with Olive who sat beside her. She could feel Almas eyes on her and she hated it. Esmé couldn't help the sinking feeling in her stomach, like something horrible would happen. Maybe Alma would kick her out and she'd have to return to her old loop. As if reading her thoughts, a loud knock on the door drove everyone's attention up. Esmé accidently locked eyes with Alma who sent her an uncertain look. Esmé stood along with Alma to head towards the door, the children remaining in their seats chatting distinctly between each other. Alma opened the door and Miss Avocet stood on the other side.

"Esmeralda? What on earth are you doing here?" Alma asked, stepping aside to allow the woman in. "Would you like any dinner?" Esmé stood to the side as she watched the two.

"No thank you, Alma dear. I'm here on business I'm afraid."

"On business?" Alma asked confused as Esmé felt a prick of fear stir up in her stomach.

"Yes, but I'm not here to see you. I'm here to speak with Esmé." She says and Esmés prediction was held correct. "Esmé, come with me."

"Can't I come with her." Alma says abruptly. "She is staying in my home, I should have a right to know." Esmé knew there was more to that reason than just that, but relief filled her when she knew that meant Alma wasn't going to kick her out.

"It's Esmés choice." Miss Avocet said, taking out her pocket watch to check the time. "I will have to get back to my own loop soon though, so we should make this quick."

Alma gave Esmé a soft look.

"Alma can join us." She said with a shrug.

"Very well, Alma, can you bring us to your study?" Miss Avocet asked. Alma nodded and led the way. Esmé sat next to Alma on a small couch which Miss Avocet pulled up a chair.

"Esmé, I'm sure you have an idea why I'm here." Avocet says and she felt that familiar anxious feeling in her chest. Instead of denying it, she hesitated before nodding. She glanced down at the floor, begging herself not to get upset when she tells her the news.

"You abandoned your loop, correct?" Miss Avocet says, a bit more harsh than she expected. Esmé nodded again as she refused to let herself tear up.

"A ymbryne does not ever abandon her loop. You know better than that. I don't know the reason why and I hope you can explain, but you're going to have to return to your loop."

"But I can't go back!" Esmé suddenly yelled, then slapped a hand over her mouth to stop herself from saying anything else.

"Why not? Is something wrong with it? You can always just make a new loop." Miss Avocet said.

"It's not the loop. It's the children you assigned me." She said, much more quietly this time.

"What do you mean?" Esmé didn't answer her, instead shaking her head and look down at the floor.

"Esmé, no matter who the children are you can't abandon them." Avocet scolds and Esmé felt her eyes water as her nails dug into the couch. She felt Almas gaze on her and felt the lump in her throat start to ache from holding everything back.

"You don't understand..." She said, her voice breaking. "Your children never hurt you." Esmé was barely audible. Alma let out a small gasp and gave her a concerned look. She seemed to want to comfort Esmé, but wasn't sure if that would be the best thing to do in the situation.

"What do you mean?" Miss Avocet pushes and Esmé gave her a frustrated look, accidently letting a tear slip out.

"What is it that you don't understand?" Esmé shouts, angrily wiping her tears away and standing to leave the study.

"Esmé, please." Alma stood, taking her hand before she could leave. Something in the way Alma was looking at her made her sit back down.

"Listen. You need to tell me why you ran away. If it's a problem that can be fixed I will tend to it and then you'll have to return."

"You can't fix it unless you're willing to assign me different wards." Esmé says, digging her nails into the palm of her hands. Alma must have noticed and gently took her hand in hers, her nails leaving marks on her palm.

"I don't see what's wrong with the two we assigned you. What have they done to deserve you running away from them?"

"Esmeralda. Don't be insensitive." Alma hissed at her.

"Alma, with all due respect, this isn't even any of your business."

"Stop." Esmé said, glaring at Miss Avocet. "I don't want to talk about it." She says quietly. Alma gently runs her thumb against her palm as Avocet sighs.

"Esmé, since you're not willing to explain why you left, I have no choice but to send you back to your loop to continue your ymbryne dutys."

"No, I can't go back. It will be worse if I go back." She said, tightening her grip on Almas hand.

"What will be worse?" Miss Avocet pushed. Esmé stayed quiet, staring at the floor.

"Esmé, what will be worse?" She asked again.

"The abuse..." She said so quietly that only Alma, who was right next to her, heard it.

"Esmé-"

"Miss Avocet, that's enough." Alma suddenly snaps towards her. "She cannot return to her loop."

"Alma, you can't speak for her." Avocet says.

"She can't." Alma says again firmly.

"And why is that?"

"I think you should be going Miss Avocet." Alma said, ignoring the question and shocking the woman by using her formal title. "I have a reset to attend to and I'm sure your wards and Miss Bunting want you back at home."

"Fine. But I suggest you two talk about whatever this is. I will be back in a few days to bring Miss Gyr back to her loop. No getting out of it."